What Flowers are you growing from seed ?

• 12 Replies

spottymint

What Flowers are you growing from seed ?
« on: June 08, 2010, 19:57 »
Hi

Everyone is quick to mention which variety of tomato they are growing or what veg they are growing this year, I thought it would be nice to ask what flowers people are sowing from seed ?

I have sown & Germinated,

Hollyhock Fiesta Time
Platycodon mixed
Rabida Red & Yellow
Clasping coneflower
Foxgloves The Shirley
Foxglove Mertonensis
Foxglove Heywoodii
Foxglove Flashing spires
Aquilegia, Barlows,crysantha,carulea, William Guiness Double & many more
Lupin Arboreus (tree lupin)

Just sown,

Oriental poppy mixed
Oriental poppy "coral Reef"
Lupin the Govenor
Lupin chandelier

Just found these in the old fridge, forgot them !  ::)

Viola Jooi (transalanian violet)
http://www.rareplants.de/shop/product.asp?P_ID=6429
Primula Vulgaris
Primula Elator
Primula veris

As you can see I like certain types of flowers, not to mention hardy perenials.  :)

I doubt I will raise them all, but should have a few spares.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 14:42 by spottymint »

AndyRVTR

Re: What Flowers are you growing from seed ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 20:08 »
Forget Me Not's... not for me you understand, for the wife.... I'm a man... and I only grow veg... :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 20:41 »
The tall white and mixed smaller nicotiana, canterbury bells, apricot foxgloves, some more Pacific Giants delphiniums (you can never have too many :) )  penstemons and scutellaria baicalensis all sown in seedtrays and up ok. Nicotiana transplanted to beds and the small ones to the tubs near the front door.
The Blue poppies I just sprinkled over the border, can't see any of those up yet though :unsure:

butterfly blue

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 21:38 »
erm just a few :tongue2:, I never grown flowers from seed before and gone bit mad!!......trailing sweet peas, normal sweet peas, cosmos, verbena, pansies, cornflower, morning glory heavenly blue, marigolds to go in with my toms, trailing lobelia, coleus, nemesia, swan river daisy, love in a mist, dianthus, linaria, coreopsis, rudbeckia rustic dwarfs, dahlia mignon, petunia and statice(sea lavender)...also just sown viola today and having a crack with lavender seeds although i have read they are hard to grow from seed. Got lots of new seed for next year, sweet williams, delphiniums, hollyhocks, alyssum, night scented stock, larspur, wallflower :wacko: so enough to keep me going what with all the fruit and veg too...not bad for my first real year growing anything but toms and spuds in pots.

oh and sunflowers the kids are having a competition..already been some cheating the ten year old switched his label with his one year old brother as his was bigger!!!  :ohmy:

Have to say i'm loving this website :D it's very friendly
Kelly x

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 21:49 »
I've sown biennials, wallflower, sweet william and honesty. In what I laughingly call my 'cutting patch' I've sown annuals - calendula ('cos I found them at the bottom of the storage tin!), cornflower, love-in-a-mist, zinnia (not holding my breath on those as should have gone in earlier), and I'm trying some asparagus for the fern (they look very sweet at the moment like asparagus for a dolls house!). There's also a couple of rows of something else but I've totally forgotten what they are! I hope it comes together as it should look pretty! Also got the sweet peas, ammi major, morning glory, sunflowers, lupins, cosmos, hollyhocks (rubbish at the mo!), and not forgetting my beloved cobaea scandens/cup and saucer plant. Think that's it! Jude

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 22:24 »
I've done loads this year but particularly pleased with the Honesty (mixed), maguerites, and a few different hardy geraniums.
I'm concentrating on perennials as they're easy to maintain and give a lovely show.
Also they survive the chicken scratching! Although one of my pink geraniums obviously offends as they've pecked off all the flowers. And it's not 'cos they're pink...they beheaded the bluebells too!
Saved a packet on buying plants but had to beg pots!!!

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 22:57 »
Livingstone daisy
lobelia
osteospermums (bit of controversy about these though as to wether true osteo's).
Asters
marigolds
swan river daisy
sweet peas
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 22:58 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

spottymint

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12 »
Hi

I thought  was growing lots, but Butterfly Blue,you seem to have loads growing.

I forgot, like mumofstig, I too have sown some penestmon & Canterbury Bells.

I can't resist seeds, 4 small tubs of fower seeds, 3 of veg seeds & just bought more off fleabay !  :ohmy:

I have already grown french marigolds this year & accidently killed my delphiniums.  :(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:16 by spottymint »

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21 »
thought Id have go this year and managed so far - cornflowers, dalihas, nemisia, achillia, marigolds ( loads for up the plot) nicotiana sylvestris. Already bought some seed for next year just need more space now.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27 »
My sister in law bought me Carol Klein's 'How To Grow Your Own Garden' and it's brilliant - all about making new plants from what you've got already or from friends gardens; I'm really going to get stuck in this year as I spend a fortune every time I go the garden centre and really should be doing it myself!

nannybuggins

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:36 »
For me this is the year of the Cosmos.   I think every seed germinated and I have loads of plants which have been given to friends and neighbours.  I also grew aquilegia, sweet william, foxgloves, calendula,nicotiana,and morning glory as well as some of my veggies.
Yes Butterfly Blue it is a friendly site and welcome from one Brummie to another!   :D

butterfly blue

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:36 »

Yes Butterfly Blue it is a friendly site and welcome from one Brummie to another!   :D

Thank you nannybuggins :D

hamstergbert

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:55 »
French marigolds - some to give long lasting interest visible from the house, some to accompany tomatoes both in the greenhouse and in the outdoor areas.  (also quite like the aroma when you crush 'em in your hands just as the flowers go over)

Mesembryanthemum - gaudy, common as muck, but irresistable in a sunny position.

Petunias and trailing lobelia in a dozen or three pots to move around as the mood takes her.

Wallflowers to avoid the midwinter Somme and to brighten up spring.

Used to grow a lot of stuff for scent, stocks, nicotiana etc but these days usually just chuck around a few candytuft, love in a mist, that sort of easy tat but to be frank, most of the space is either veggies or perennials.

Some years nasturtiums to kill two birds with one stone, but didn't get round to it this year.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Cut flowers (not from seed)

Started by Truffle on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 18:08
by snowdrops
xx
Growing flowers for cutting

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 17:49
by FRUITFULL
xx
Growing flowers all year round

Started by trogg on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 15:44
by arugula
xx
Summer through autumn flowers from seed

Started by lettice on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 12:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.