Silkies...

• 5 Replies

Casey76

Silkies...
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:08 »
What kind of personalities are silkies?  I've recently seen some babies in the flesh and have become smitten.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of chicks at the same time as my incubator chicks are hatching so I can grow them on together.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Silkies...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 19:34 »
I only had 2 for a very short time and then they went off to live with grannie annie. Silkies are great but in winter they do need to be kept indoors, they usually go broody at the drop of an egg and you do have to be aware of the soft spot in the top of their head same as with polands.
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 00:24 »
Silkies  :D :D :D :D cute. They rather like to be in a group, and are NOT WATERPROOF, or weatherproof in any way really. They like a cuddle, but really do spend more time broody than not. I have 5 broody silkies ATM, and haven't had an egg for aaaages. My black silkie cockerel is the noisiest of ALL my cockerels, and my cuckoo girl is very chatty too.  ::)  I wouldnt swap them for the world  :D

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:43 »
I'm not bothered about eggs... I'll have enough layers (as long as any eggs I hatch aren't ALL boys lol)

I'll have a think about it... there is an aea I have which is fairly sheltered, and should be easy enough to cover with onduline.

Tania

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 20:24 »
I have 4 silkies, 3 girls and a gorgeous boy. They are the funniest chooks and each has their own personality. The girls frequently go broody and as we speak are sitting on 6 splash orpington eggs and 3 Indian Game chickens. They've also just hatched 3 Indian Runner ducklings. They don't like getting wet although it doesn't seem to bother my boy. I can highly recommend them!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 20:14 »
They're a bit dim, (well mine are!) ???

xx
male or female silkies

Started by mandarincloth on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 18:26
by francais

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 37 queries.