Strawberries

• 3 Replies

noshed

Strawberries
« on: February 17, 2006, 16:34 »
I've inherited quite a large bed of strawberries - about 10x20 feet. I've no idea how long they've been there. There's a few weeds in amongst them but the plants look quite healthy. I don't really want such a big bed of them because of my other grandiose plans.
Should I dig up and transplant the ones round the edge on the basis that they're probably the runners? I was wondering about planting them through a plastic mulch (Tesco bargain at the moment). Or should I just weed them and leave them for this year?
Incidentally my shed plans are beginning to take shape - the site is cleared and levelled and the slabs go down this weekend, assuming I can get them in the car.
My friends think I have gone bonkers - eyeing up skips and filling the back of the car with old window frames etc. - anyone got any tips on a pallet cold frame?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:46 »
It's usually good to replace strawberries from runner grown every 3 years, a sort of rotation as they wear out.

So, relocating the ones round the edge may be the way to go - I'm not 100% on that but it's what I'd do. The mulch sounds good as well. What the birds don't get from above, the slugs do from below.

Glad you're getting on with your shed - like any building, the base / foundations are critical.  There was an article in Kitchen Garden mag about making a coldframe from pallets. Can I find it? Of course not ... typical.

I'll keep looking for you.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

strawberries
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 16:12 »
Thanks for the advice.
Sorry about your little cat - I still feel sad about my old cat who died 3 years ago, even though he was a bit mad.
The slabs for the shed are down in spite of the weather being quite wet. A neighbour gave me four gooseberry bushes as well today - so I won't be short of soft fruit this summer, assuming the birds etc don't get it all.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Strawberries
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 20:11 »
Thanks noshed. To be honest, it was heartbreaking. She had cancer in her spine and was losing the use of her back legs. She just wouldn't give up - dragging herself with her front legs.

The hardest thing was that she wouldn't give up. We knew what was coming but I think she thought it would get better, like an injury. She was in distress becaue she couldn't  move quickly and I think it was becoming painful. I know we did the right thing but it didn't feel right. if you see what I mean.

Another hole in our life.

xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium
sad
strawberries

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:52
by DD.
xx
strawberries

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 14:13
by Trillium
xx
strawberries in bud

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 09:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 32 queries.