Runner beans

• 16 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Runner beans
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 22:24 »
PS, all my books say brassicas like to be in firm ground, Percy Thrower bless him said to tread the ground before and after planting, but OH thinks he knows more than anyone, even though I've never known him grow anything other than poultry!!!!

And caterpillars ate most of my brassicas as well last year, so out of 70 cabbages, what with being eaten and being heartless, we ate about 3 I think!!!  Hope there will be more this year.  The cabbages are hearting up nicely, and lots of growth on the cauliflowers, just waiting til I can see those little curds growing!!! yum.  The brussels were blown last year too, for the same reason

Oliver

Cats that get the hump!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 23:42 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
she has now decided that she is going to be a greenhouse cat !

They had a cat called Lucy which they inherited when someone in her office asked her to look after while they went to australia for 6 mnths. There were still there 12 years later!
Anyway, this Lucy cat was in residence when Florence and I moved in as kittens. Lucy was very attentive towards us when we were small - in fact it was nice to have another 'mother'. However, we sort of outgrew her and used to chase her about for fun, you know, not for real! Well, she got the hump and decided to live out the front of the house. She would come in to eat and would sit upstairs with Her mother for a bit, but then asked to go out the front. She became the Ouside Cat.
They made her a little cathouse which lived on the front step so she had somewhere warm to sleep in the winter. In the summer she slept on the roof of the cathouse. (Once the postman put a parcel in the house, not realising that the cat was in there, so Lucy was 'locked' inside all day till they removed the parcel! :lol:  :lol:
So maybe Sooty is quite happy in the greenhouse - its probably nice and warm. I am not phased by d o g s, they are usually more scared of me!
(Florence and Lucy have both gone to the hunting gruound in the sky and I am now left with the Otherone from nextdoor who adopted us last year. Humph.)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 34 queries.