Problem Cosmos

• 9 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Problem Cosmos
« on: May 13, 2009, 21:57 »
Help!!

My cosmos seedlings seem to be dying.

They are about 6 inches and were growing well inside the greenhouse.

I have been hardening them for the past week but I have noticed today that some of the leaves are shriveling up.

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be. Sorry if its not a very good description

Thanks

Trillium

Re: Problem Cosmos
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 22:19 »
Not sure but they could be getting too much water. Cosmos are really quite hardy plants and you could even sow them now directly outside if these plants continue to die back. Once this starts, it's hard to stop, so consider re-sowing outside.

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 22:30 »
I sowed some direct in to the border a week back from today and  they are starting to germinate well already.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 23:22 »
Could it be too hot or damp for them, mine have been outside even at night for nearly a month now, almost ready to plant.

Bob

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:11 »
Not sure if they have been too hot. It only started happenening in the last couple days whilst I have been putting them outide to harden off.

I will persevere with them but also sow some direct into the garden and see what happens.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:31 »
It may have been too much of a shock for them, even in the day.

Cosmos are not greenhouse plants, as has been said they are very hardy. They may have got used to being molly-coddled!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:49 »
If I am sowing hardy annuals in a greenhouse (Normally very early March), as soon as I can transplant them to individual small pots or celled containers or even transplanted to a larger seed tray etc, I give them one more day to settle in, then out they go to an uncovered cold frame until planting time, I would also just put the seed tray out if the GH was too warm when they were smaller.

It's a bit different with half hardy annuals but not by much, and I would solve that normally by sowing a week or two later and could bring them in if needed.

I would agree, it sounds like they have got used to the greenhouse and then become shocked.

Bob

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53 »
Are you getting as much wind as we are?  Forty-mile-an-hour gusts will kill almost anything that's not properly hardened off already.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:16 »
Just survived 2 days of very windy weather, I put frames covers over the brassicas that were in their final beds, the rest of the planted veg has survived and all the seedlings veg and flowers have pulled through.

But there is one big problem, I had my second sowing of Brassicas in pots in my coldframe, hardening up along with stuff like Cosmos, Bunny Rabbits etc, but I only had one label in the front pots and they are now all jumbled up. No problem with the flowers, even the beetroot BUT:

I now have to try and sort out my Cauliflowers from my Cabbage and Calabrese.

Could be fun!

Bob

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 22:33 »
Yes we have been having strong winds. I have lost a couple more but have been having them outside both day and night - so far upon inspection they seem ok.

I have scattered some seeds directly in the ground yesterday so I will just hope something grows!

xx
Cosmos heading towards the cosmos!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2024, 15:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
Cosmos

Started by Pauly1958 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2019, 19:12
by Pauly1958
xx
Cosmos

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 20:31
by Trillium
xx
Cosmos

Started by spottymint on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 16:50
by shedsue

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 34 queries.