fixing problems with briggs and stratton+small engines

• 41 Replies

smud6ie

Re: fixing problems with briggs and stratton+small engines
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26 »
This is a tip which may be  useful to others. I have an old lawnmower with a pulsa jet carb. It has been playing me up for some time . Sometimes it would start first pull, then next time it wouldn't start. I found that if I put a bit of petrol down the carb it would usually start then stop, pointing to a fuel problem. I had taken the carb off previously and cleaned it all out but still wouldn't go. Today I got a new diaphram for the carb and fitted it. More importantly , it came with fitting instructions which tells you to hold the choke open by 3/8ths inch before tightening the screws to pretension the diaphram. Obviously last time I took it off I just bunged it back on and tightened it all up and the diaphram wasn't pumping up petrol. Since I've changed it , the engine has started first time every time, so I probably didn't need a new diaphram, but it was worth it to get the installation info.and cure the problem. Hope this is off interest to others with old B and S engines.
Handy site to go with this post:
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-jet_horiz_adj.asp
smud6ie

Anxious Annie

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 12:21 »
Hi Muntjac, cant get site you receommended - small-engines.com? Anxious Annie

agapanthus

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 13:22 »
Hi Muntjac, cant get site you receommended - small-engines.com? Anxious Annie
Apparently it's now shut down....due to lot of aggravation :(

Slowgrind

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 13:33 »
For your own good!
Never stand near an engine with petrol poured into the carb!
A mate at work spent three weeks in hospital after priming the carb like this. The engine back fired spraying him with burning petrol!
NASTY!

Buffyrose

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 13:52 »
try here for a simple tip or trick that may solve your starting or running problems with small engines on mowers rotavators etc

http://www.small-engines.com/

Hi - apologies in advance if I'm not doing this correctly - I've never written on a forum before so don't quite know how to.    Couldn't get the 'small engines' link to work.

I have a Flymo rotovator, B&S 5hp engine.   It is in virtually mint condition having been looked after v well but is c 20 years old.   It has always been a so and so to start but once going does a fantastic job.  We normally have to 'prime' it by using a bicycle pump to pump air into the vent hole in the top of the petrol tank .......... and then it normally starts.  Last year it finally wouldn't start so ........... we renewed the points; spark plug; condenser; diaphragm on carbuerettor ........... and it worked beautifully.   This year, we 'primed ' it as usual and it started.  We did half the veggie garden and it stopped.  Well, we've since spent 4 hours over 2 days trying to get it going again.  Will it start ........ no it won't.  Do you think its had its day? 

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 21:53 »
No I don't think it's had it.
1) welcome to the forums :)
2) create a "new topic" in the engine room section and I'm sure the small engine gang can work this through with you.
3) check the filer cap make sure the vent hole's not blocked  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

TheEnglishman

• Our Garden
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 13:58 »
Ignition system in small magneto engines (coil inside flywheel) consists of two circuits, low tension (LT) & high tension (HT).

LT is a coil of wire which is 'charged' by the magnet in the flywheel. The HT is a coil which is 'charged' by the collapse of the charge in the LT.

How does LT charge collapse? - The points. These open & causes the charge in the LT circuit to collapse. This induces a charge in the HT circuit.

Now that the HT coil is charged, it jumps across the spark plug so it too can discharge.

Simples....  Two circuits, each will light a torch bulb if connected with a battery. (assuming points closed). No light, no circuit - magneto coil dead - replace. (Coil slides off armature).

Succinctly put   8)

I've had the points get clogged with dirt so they never close.  Still, the 30 mins of exercise pulling the cord was cheaper than joining a gym!

I had to get a flywheel puller from Halfrawds, so win, win (just popping out for some tools, dear...) to get at the points though.

BTW - never check for a spark by holding the spark plug.  Well, if you do you'll only do it the once.  ;)  DAMHIK  ::)
I am quite possibly the antithesis of green fingered

Guzzik

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 18:12 »
New to forum so this might have been covered but here goes,everytime iv'e come across a briggs and stratton mower that will start and only run for a few seconds it has needed a new carburettor diaphragm,hope this helps.

Another tip is for ALL small (1.5 to 4.5 hp)petrol mowers is if it starts to "hunt", as in accelerates then cuts back, accelerates, then cuts back all the time.  The diaphragm is knackered.  Strip carb back, replace and away one goeth again.
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

slider

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 22:45 »
my rotavator was playing up i found a good peice on you tube.theres a guy on there has  videod striping,checking and rebuilding a briggs an stratton engine.i followed his step buy step guide .first pull she fired up and i ve had no probs since worth looking at if your machines playing up
brute force and ignorance works everytime

AlfieD

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 21:20 »
I have just found this web site and ordered spare parts for my 1978 Mountfield with a Briggs & Stratton 3.5 HP model number 92902 they appear to have everything including the service manual.
briggsbits.co.uk hope it is of use

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 19:04 »
If any member would like any information on Briggs and Stratton engines I have a Service Manual for Out of Production Engines 1919 – 1981 all is in pdf format
Picture book (436 x 600) (436 x 600)wwww.jpg

Grimbles grower

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29 »
Hi all, can anyone help. I have just inherited a Merry Tiller Titan with a 5hp Briggs & stratton engine, cannot start it. I have replaced spark plug,checked gap,stripped carb & cleaned,replaced diaphragm,checked magneto(ouch)&cleaned points,full tank of clean petrol and still no go :(

Gwiz

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29 »
How does the compression feel? is it very easy to turn over?
Are you putting it onto choke when you start it? (I've got to ask!)

Grimbles grower

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 14:53 »
Turns over easily and seems to have enough compression, choke out and throttle set to fast as per instruction manual. Its a 130202 model manufactured in 73 if thats any help.

Dopey113

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 00:32 »
pull the plug out, with a pair of plastic handled pliers, look at the plug (re attach the lead) and get someone to start it up, see if you have a spark at the plug
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

xx
Briggs and Stratton engines ect

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 15:33
by adal
xx
Engine problems on Briggs and Stratton

Started by Andrew Burrow on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 17:34
by Andrew Burrow
xx
briggs and stratton starting problems

Started by tex on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 16:44
by tex
xx
Merry Tiller Briggs & Stratton Engine Problems

Started by DECAL MAN on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 17:30
by shaun

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 52 queries.