Pigeon droppings in compost?

• 8 Replies

Freerider

• http://www.snowdreamsoftware.co.uk
« on: February 20, 2007, 15:32 »
Hi all, I've been given a couple of bags of sawdust/pigeon droppings from someone's (racing) pigeon loft. Is it ok to use this stuff on my compost heap?
Not sure if racing pigeons carry same diseases as "normal" pigeons.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 15:33 »
Sawdust is a nasty but  pigeon muck is the best activator I know.

Freerider

• http://www.snowdreamsoftware.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 15:37 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
pigeon muck is the best activator I know.

Really? I've read in other places, to keep away from it as it contains ammonia. Are you talking about fresh stuff? The stuff I have has dried up.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 16:14 »
Yeah just chuck it in sawdust and all if it's to dry water it a bit should heat your compost up lovely.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 16:27 »
Quote from: "Freerider"
I've read in other places, to keep away from it as it contains ammonia
 It doesn't contain ammonia as such, ammonia is produced during decomposition because of the high levels of soluble nitrogen that it contains.  Use it in thin-ish layers in your compost heap and it'll do it the world of good.   Any ammonia which is produced will be long gone before the compost is ready to use - hence your compost will not harm worms and other soil critters.  Quite the opposite in fact.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 16:54 »
HI Freerider, I keep racing pigeons so I've got this sorted out. You want to avoid all wild pigeon manure as it will contain unwanted pathogens, guaranteed. Racing pigeons are kept sequestered from the wild ones simply because owners don't want the diseases, lice, etc that the wild ones will pass on. Racers are also fed very good diets to enhance their speed and are regularly checked for any diseases, pests, etc, so the quality coming out back end is pretty good stuff. I've never found it particularly strong like fresh cow, horse or chicken poo so I use it straight on my garden beds. Mind, it's sat on the ground (falls through a thick metal anti-vermin screen) for a bit before I scoop it up for garden use. I never bother wasting it in the compost, it's too valuable. For compost, I buy a box of accelerator stuff that does a far better job - when I remember to use it, that is.   8)

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 18:24 »
use it in  the compost bin if you have other stuff to put in it as well but save some for this tip ....... get a barrel and a plastic mesh type sack( pet supplies stores have them ) and fill it half full  tie a  rope round the top of the bag and stick it in the water barrel fill to the top and then leave for 3 mths  shake the bag up and down on the rope  to stir it up . then use a tin with wire attached to hold the mixture in  in as you put it in a watering can  dilute 2/1 and use as a liquid feed on brassicas and stand well back ......might be a good idea to wear gloves when handling it , change the sack yearly,  DO NOT PUT IT ON THE LEAVES OF YOUR PLANTS  BUT ON THE GROUND :twisted:
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:54 »
and dont forget pigeon lung
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Clodagh & Dick

• http://www.gardeninginspain.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 15:20 »
Your lucky it's a good accelerator. Keep some dry and make a n infusion with the herb mares tail and use it to spray against leaf curl on fruit trees. We use budgie droppings but it's the same stuff.
Combined 40 years experience of gardening in Spain.  Authors of Your Garden in Spain, Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain,  Growing Healthy Fruit in Spain and Practical Gardening on the Costa http://www.gardeninginspain.com/

xx
composting rabbit droppings

Started by jack russell on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 16:11
by Trillium
xx
can i put these in compost bin ?

Started by kiowa on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 19:29
by mkhenry
xx
Compost

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 10:49
by chrissie B
xx
Compost bin

Started by angelwings on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 20:38
by angelwings

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.