Nettle that won't finish

• 4 Replies

bockhamptoners

Nettle that won't finish
« on: September 14, 2008, 21:29 »
:(  We are new to wine making, have done a few kits and wanted to try some 'Country' or 'Hedgerow' recipes..... did Parsnip & Banana.... OMG to die for, 14% of pure heaven in a jar, none of the bottles survived past a week.....sorry I digress, well we also set off some Nettle and after 4 weeks it stopped, we got all excited and I stuck the hydrometer in it and it floats at 1080. The liquor is gorgeous; to be honest we nearly drank it because it seems powerfully strong already! Anyway, did some reading, spoke to a shop and decided it needed to be started again so I put warm water in a glass, added a teaspoon of yeast, sugar and yeast nutrient, covered in Clingfilm for 30 mins. and added it to the nettle demijohn. Fermentation started and ran for about 2 weeks then stopped, the reading was 1060! So I read some more and decided it needed restarting seriously, so I made up the juice of 3 oranges, water, yeast, nutrient and waited 4 days fill it was completely active, then I added some of the nettle, about 50% to 100% starter, left it 2 days till it was really going again, kept this up over about 8 days until I had all of it working again, 4 days later it stopped. 1040!
I added 1lb sugar as was suggested somewhere and bought a heat pad, now at 24c it started again on its only and went for another 6 days, now its 1060 again! It smells divine and tastes wonderful, its murky and has a dangerous feel to it  :twisted: …….. what do we do?
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

Ropster

Nettle that won't finish
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:18 »
hi , Do you know what the original reading was ?
it is possible that the alcohol content has got too high and killed the yeast (especialy as you added another 1Ib of sugar)
you could try getting a high tolerance yeast and starting it again (no more sugar)
or just drink it

bockhamptoners

Nettle that won't finish
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 23:30 »
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I didn't have a hydrometer then so I don't know what the reading would have been. I don't know if you can taste the alcohol, but if you can i would say its high. It has the same feel that the beetroot does and thats 18%.
I have 2 sachets of Restart yeast now.....would that be a high tolerance one?

Ropster

Nettle that won't finish
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:16 »
Hi, the restart yeasts are usualy more vigorous than the regular ones but I dont know what the Alcohol resistance is.
if you have a homebrew shop near by I would ask them to recomend one
I think you can taste if it is strong

bockhamptoners

Nettle that won't finish
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 20:55 »
Hurray its going again and its bubbling like hot spring!!
I realised that the alcohol is killing the yeast so i spread the demijohn across to another so i had 4 pints in each, then put half a 5 gallon restart yeast into each and topped with water.... ironically one started and the other didn't! So I used a third jar to take half out of the working one, and topped it with half of the non-working one, then poured the other halves back together...shoved on the heat pad and hey presto next day i have both going like mad things. I only hope it tastes alright when finished :)

xx
Nettle beer

Started by ytyynycefn on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 20:06
by jackiestagg
xx
Nettle lager

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Homebrew

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 11:50
by bearhugger1972
xx
Nettle beer recipe.

Started by hayles62 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 20:41
by muntjac
xx
Nettle wine umm yummy

Started by freyaluck on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 21:54
by freyaluck

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 34 queries.