Garden Claw

• 6 Replies

lilymarlene

Garden Claw
« on: May 01, 2006, 16:22 »
As a totally converted user of this "digging" implement I have been wondering why they are not for sale nowadays at Garden Centres.
I love mine.....! I have recently been making new beds in my lawn. The soil is too hard to dig, so I ripped the top layer of turf to bits with the claw, then using my long handled hand fork I weeded out the grass plants, then disturbed the ground some more with the claw. This produced a friable soil, worked to 4 inches deep, without exposing new soil to the light and by so doing allowing a heavy crop of weeds. The bit of the bed I did last month has not grown a single weed, and the herbs I put in from a marked down set of 6 I spotted at the Garden centre looking rather the worse for wear, look wonderful. They have doubled in size in a month.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Garden Claw
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 16:46 »
I've seen the non-branded version of "the claw" at all the major DIY stores I've been in lately. I would think they're only good for certain things that don't need deep soil digging. Otherwise I'm sticking to a spade, fork and hoe.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Garden Claw
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 22:08 »
I've got a cheaper version of the claw, because I couldnt' afford the proper one,  it was £3 in Wilkinsons.  Didn't use it at first because someone took the lickey, but have used it this last couple of days as I can't dig for long without getting a tummy ache.  OK, it takes a little longer then digging, and as my beds were rotavated last year, they don't need any deep digging, but I've 'dug' over a lot more ground with it than I could with the spade, so yep, I'm in favour of the garden claw.  Even this cheap one has helped me get out a lot of weeks, except the docks!!!

Gwiz

Garden Claw
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 13:41 »
i was given a long handled version of this tool because of back problems, i must say its a very handy thing to hang your hat on..... :lol:

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Garden Claw
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 22:49 »
So is that a vote for the claw like tools then.  How about hoeing with them.  I have thought about getting one for ages, but have never met anyone how had one to ask if they really worked or were just another gimmick
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Garden Claw
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 23:06 »
They are no good for docks, but a little twist certainly gets rid of a lot of things.  Depends on the area you are doing, you couldn't get too near your existing veggies in case it twists them out of the ground, but when I was doing the patches where my shallots are now, it was quicker than digging, and got the roots out too, unlike hoeing, but I thinkhoeing is quicker

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Garden Claw
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 23:17 »
Great,thanks for that feed back it was very useful

xx
garden claw confession.

Started by Gwiz on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 09:54
by beestie-crawlies
xx
Garden Sprayer

Started by john_ch on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 10:25
by shaun
xx
garden cultivators

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 21:52
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Garden Vacuum

Started by ke1th on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 15:11
by ke1th

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.