Greenhouse wanted

• 14 Replies

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« on: August 07, 2008, 21:22 »
Hi, I am looking at buying a greenhouse.  Have been looking around on ebay for the last few weeks but not really confident enough to dismantle/move/put up an old one.

Have been looking around at new ones and the best (meaning cheapest) deal I have found is in B&Q for a 6x6 aluminium with polycarbonate glazing for £209 including base.

Does anyone know of any better offers or something slightly more expensive and a lot better quality?  Does anyone have one of these 'cheap' B&Q versions?  What are they like?

Basically, any advice gratefully received!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 22:41 »
Hi Elcie,

I haven't seen the one you're referring to but as long as it's solid and secure in its base then it should be OK, however I'd want to see one built and withstanding nature before committing to buy.

Mine is fully glazed, aluminium frame with base and cost under £300 http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/hal86pop  considering you could pay upwards of around £250 for a poly one which is lighter and some folks just plain don't like them then maybe this is the better option for you.

I haven't had a days bother with it and went to wilkinsons for staging (£7.99 for 4 tier staging, the kind you get in the green poly 'cloches' or 'greenhouses' but can't find it on their website just now though) which I secured to the aluminium frame using greenhouse bolts with rings through them... http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/Greenhouse-Nut-Bolt-Ring-Set-10-_A5UBQ.aspx

with all of this said, taking a GH apart and re-assembling isn't that difficult.  One word of advice though,  take photographs of it before and during de-construction and write on it with a permanant marker so you can see what goes with what and you could bag yourself a bargain.

Have you tried freecycle too?

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 16:27 »
Hi Ss, thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have looked on freecycle.  Haven't put a 'wanted' out there though.  Perhaps I should try this before commiting to buy a new one!

A lot of places say that the polyprop is better for the plants than glass.  Perhaps not as asthetically pleasing though!  Have also seen safety glass so perhaps that is an option.

Choices, choices!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 18:04 »
forgot to mention;  my folks got one of the all plastic ones - my pa is always looking to save a few quid and often goes for a cheaper item in place of a quality one.

Anyhoo, after one night of winds his green poly gh ended up in a neighbours garden all mangled  :?   Was good for me though cos he gave me the plastic 'glass' and doors etc so I'm going to try to make a cloche for next spring!

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 18:21 »
Your dad and I sound similar!

I'm trying to work out a balance between safety/cost/quality but I guess that is the same as anything you buy really.

I will let you know how it goes.  I certainly don't want my lovely greenhouse ending up blowing away!!

violet

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 16:34 »
We have just bee given an aluminium greenhouse with glass, we are now wondering hw to attach it to the ground...what is the best way

Concrete base?

Sort of peg things over the frame and into the ground?

I remember as a child our greenhouse only had flags as a sort of path inside and my dad grew stuff directly into the ground...is ths advisable?  It wasn't an aluminimum one.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 18:52 »
From what I've seen a lot of folks use flagstones under the gh and screw the base directly onto the flags.  It's then up to you if you flag out the inside or if you leave soil available to plant directly into the ground.

Doing it this way deffinately makes it easier to keep the crops watered though because there will be residual moisture in the soil as opposed to continually keeping pots watered.

Gwiz

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 19:32 »
I went for the railway sleeper base, layed down onto plain soil.
The weight of the glass keeps it sitting there.
I do have a paving slap strip up the centre to stand on whilst I'm watering.

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 21:01 »
Thanks for the suggestions SS, I bought my greenhouse today!  Went for a twin wall poly one in the end (although glass is actually cheaper in some greenhouses!) as considered the children next door when they are in their giant paddling pool and balls etc coming flying over the fence.

Very excited as now know that I can start things off in it next year and can get some chilli and pepper plants!

So.... anyone know of any good, cheap, greenhouse staging!!  :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 22:23 »
Yay!  good on you - it's like having another garden when you can get things growing in the greenhouse!

Re staging, Wilkinsons did a fantastic 4 tier staging for £7.99 - I bought 3 of them for mine but they haven't had them in again for ages.  I can only find the same thing in Argos  for £19.99 for a twinpack, but considering the usual cost for staging this isn't too bad.

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 22:45 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Yay!  good on you - it's like having another garden when you can get things growing in the greenhouse!

Re staging, Wilkinsons did a fantastic 4 tier staging for £7.99 - I bought 3 of them for mine but they haven't had them in again for ages.  I can only find the same thing in Argos  for £19.99 for a twinpack, but considering the usual cost for staging this isn't too bad.

Yes, that sounds like a good price.  Will have a look at that.  Some of the prices on the internet mean that I would be paying the same again for the staging as I did for the greenhouse  :shock:

RE having another garden - will definitely feel like that as anything I grow there at the moment has to go up on tables to stop the dog burying his bones in the pots!  At least he won't be able to do this in the greenhouse  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 22:52 »
Also, on the subject of securing them to the ground...  I've just laid a (not very level  :oops: ) concrete base for my second aluminium GH, and in order to level it up I'm going to have to put cement under the base to raise and lower it where necessary to get a level finish.

This should work for both aluminium gh as well as poly ones.

matron

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 19:07 »
My 2 aluminium ones were cheap glass ones with one from B&Q and the other from Focus (6'x6' and 8'x6'). One is set on concrete blocks and screwed down and the other is set on concrete fence posts (laid on their side of course) and again screwed down as we have had winds that have moved the fully glazed greenhouse. OH has then concreted the floor in both of them. For staging I use the shelves sold as mini greenhouses as they are deeper than the actual staging shelves.
Sorry, gone on a bit but good luck and happy growing in your greenhouse.  :lol:  :lol:

Elcie

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 20:26 »
Quote from: "matron"
For staging I use the shelves sold as mini greenhouses as they are deeper than the actual staging shelves.
Sorry, gone on a bit but good luck and happy growing in your greenhouse.  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks!  I am so excited.  Bought some seeds today and was brilliant to be able to buy whatever I wanted (peppers, chillis) without worrying that I won't have a greenhouse.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the prices for staging today and thought that the shelves in the mini greenhouses seem cheaper than the usual staging.  May just do the same as you.  What have you done with the covers?

matron

Greenhouse wanted
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 21:15 »
Erm, they are in a pile somewhere.  :roll:
I only use the shelves - they are great for drying logs on when I have finally planted up / out all the seedlings.  :lol:

xx
Wanted Greenhouse

Started by garddwr on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 12:01
by cooperman
xx
Greenhouse components wanted

Started by makedoandmend on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2018, 20:29
by jezza
xx
Second hand greenhouse wanted

Started by janiejakemum on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 14:07
by janiejakemum
xx
Wanted

Started by mick on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 16, 2006, 20:48
by mick

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.