Rhubarb Recipes

• 28 Replies

ang

Rhubarb Recipes
« on: April 26, 2006, 17:03 »
Have recently taken on an allotment and have more rhubarb than i know what to do with. I know of the usual recipes rhubarb crumble but wondered if anyone had a recipe a little different i could try or if anyone has a recipe for Rhubarb wine it would be much appreciated. ( anything alcoholic goes down well at our house).

Jake

• Rockers
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:30 »
Hi ang

We are trying this recipe from John Seymour for Rhubarb wine this year

15lb (6.8Kg) Rhubarb
2.5lb (1.1 Kg) Sugar
1 gallon (4ltr) Water
Yeast

Chop up Rhubarb and pour over boiling water and mash it up. Don’t bring back to boil. Leave to soak until next day. Strain off liquor and press fruit. Stir in sugar and bung in yeast. Leave to ferment, then rack it, then bottle it.

Racking is where you take off the scum or let the scum sink to the bottom and then siphon off the clearer liquor into another container. I think.

We haven’t tried this before, the book doesn’t say how much yeast to use so we are trying with a sachet of dried multipurpose brewers yeast (guessing this is fine from the 4 ltr of water used).

Also Rhubarb is excellent with Mackerel or Sardines, any fishy kind of fish.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 14:08 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Racking is where you take off the scum or let the scum sink to the bottom and then siphon off the clearer liquor into another container. I think.

You add finings to the wine before racking as I recall and this causes the bits to clump together and sink before you siphon off. Haven't made wine for years as we go on Viking raids to Calais
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 15:15 »
Thanks, I always wondered what finings did. We're into Ye olde world type stuff so making wine is part of that hobby. New to it though.

Beer brewing on the other hand I'm quite good at, I'd rather drink mine than the cans of gnats ****. There's only one pub in Luton that serves decent beer, The Black Horse. Never made it without a kit although my dad has and I might try this year, stinks though.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 20:19 »
There's a pub up the road from here (about 15 mins walk) that does about 25 different beers (real ale) used to do good food as well but it got taken over some time back and the food quality has gone down, price up and it's not the friendly welcome it used to be. Sad.

I've never made beer but I've got the drinking of it down to a tee.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 22:11 »
I made some rhubarb wine once Jake, it came out as a rose and it was very nice.  Mind you the STRONGEST one I ever made was the rice wine!  Boy, did that pack a punch!!!! lol

Jake

• Rockers
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06 »
Rice Wine, I've tried it in a Chinese restraunt and I thought I'd better go easy on it, almost like a spirit.

Anyway I came across some Rhubarb recipes here at springarbourfarm while looking for something to do with short rhubarb stems, (heather_s's thread in grow your own).

I like the sound of Rhubarb crisp.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 22:41 »
Mmmmmm, the rhubarb crisp sounds nice, fruit crumble with a slight twist!!! yummy

Jerry

Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:38 »
Make rhubarb wine every year, method like John Seymours but bit more slapdash. And no chemicals.
Take your bucket. Put in clean chopped raw rhubarb. Boil kettles of water and pour on until rhubarb is just covered. Leave to cool to blood heat. Mash it about with a stout stick or something. Sprinkle a sachet of dried bread yeast on top and leave for 3 days with a bit of cloth tied over the top to keep muck out. Tie it tightly. After 3 days, tip the liquid slowly into another bucket, keep the cloth on, it acts as a sieve. (Put the rhubarb left in the cloth onto the compost.) For each half bucket full of liquid add about a pound of sugar Stir to dissolve. Put into demijohn with airlock, leave for 4 weeks in a warm place. 2 days before you wnat to do it, move it to a high worksurface, so it settles, then rack by siphoning off the liquid into another demijohn and throw the gunk at the bottom onto the compost. Do this a week later, and another week later too. Should be clear by then. If you want to bottle it, stop it fermenting by pasteurising - put it in a big pan and very gently heat to 70 degrees C for about 3 minutes with the lid on. I normally just keep it in the demijohn and pour from there!

Jake

• Rockers
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 17:01 »
Thanks Jerry, thats definately the way forward I think. I like no chemicals. I like easy even more. :D

ang

rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 17:05 »
Thanks for the recipes. In another 10 months ish will probably slightly tispsy. Ps am new to the site and would like to say love it. :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 19:48 »
Quote from: "ang"
Ps am new to the site and would like to say love it. :lol:

You'd all best stop with the compliments and suchlike - I can't get my head through the door anymore!!!

noshed

Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 17:09 »
That simple wine recipe is more orless what I used to do. Comes out as pleasant and fruity - keep a jug of in the fridge for emergencies.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 22:42 »
I have made rhubarb schnapps - the recipe is on my www if you fancy giving it a go, and is in the Nigella Lawson Domestic Goddess Recipe book

Makes lovely Christmas presents
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

ang

Rhubarb Recipes
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 18:16 »
Have just tasted the first of my rhubarb wine. I ended up doing a version from a book and it's tasting very good. Would like to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

xx
Rhubarb recipes

Started by celjaci on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 00:22
by Stripey_cat
xx
Rhubarb recipes?

Started by Buddleja on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 10:03
by gypsy
xx
thinking of rhubarb recipes

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 14:11
by Aidy
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 34 queries.