Raised Beds - On Concrete

• 1 Replies

marlok

« on: June 13, 2008, 21:44 »
Our local primary school really got into growing vegetables this year and have asked me if I could make them some extra raised beds. The problem is that they've asked for these to go on a concreted area of their playground. A couple of questions then :? ;

I was thinking of going to the local timber recycling company and getting some old scaffold boards - 1/. would these be safe? (any nasty treatments?) and 2/. would two high be enough?

I'd have to line the beds to stop the soil washing out but also need to make sure it drains well as primary school children like watering! Any (cheap) suggestions?

Finally, does anyone know if ISPM 15 treated timber is safe for use as a compost bin?

Thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 23:07 »
2nd hand decking boards from a reclaim yard might do you better as they will be tanalised so last for years. Why do you have to line them ? I don't think you would loose a great deal of compost/soil from the edges ours never have. You could line the bottom and up the sides a little with newspaper it will hold it all in place until it binds itself together, our raised bed is about 10 " tall I think, with a good 6" of soil.
Hope this helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

question
Raised Beds using concrete blocks

Started by pelling on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 19:37
by pelling
xx
Raised beds -

Started by Rixy on Design and Construction

54 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 00:00
by Salmo
xx
More raised beds!

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 21:35
by EddieJ
xx
raised beds

Started by greenfingered on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 13:16
by piskieinboots

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 34 queries.