Weeds as mulch?

• 2 Replies

Chris929

Weeds as mulch?
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:28 »
Hi

I have weeded half (half 1) of the allotment and now thinking of covering the other half (half 2) and planting through the cover as a no dig section. I'm thinking of putting cardboard under tarpaulin as the cover.

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea or not to place the weeds obtained from half 1 under the cardboard for some sort of mulch that would hopefully not grow due to no light and then breakdown to provide nutrition?

Any review on this system?

If it did work it would be an easy use for the weeds mass I gathered ready for the dump site.

snowdrops

Re: Weeds as mulch?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:48 »
Hi there, in strict no dig terms it isn’t recommended as it will encourage slugs, only composted mulches are recommended. Build yourself a compost bin & chuck them in there, strip the other half of the plot if you can & rake it off & add to the compost bin. Start looking fir well rotted manure to add ontop of the cardboard, you don’t really need the tarpaulin then unless you happen to have 1. Although it does stop weedseeds blowing into that area.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Weeds as mulch?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01 »
Best place for the weeds is a compost heap, although covering the unworked part is a good idea, until you get round to clearing it.
It's difficult to grow anything through tarpaulin as no rain gets through to water the plants. I've used cardboard under weed control fabric and planted squash/pumpkins through holes in it though.  (weed control fabric does let water through) This will kill some weeds, but things like bindweed or couchgrass, will still have long roots that will have to be dug out.
You will have to use a few slug pellets around anything you do plant through it, though I find I need to use these whether the soil is covered or not :(

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.