Christmas Meal Charges

• 15 Replies

mrs bouquet

Christmas Meal Charges
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:29 »
 :D   I was reading in the paper about a lady who is going to charge her family for Christmas Meal.  :D

It went along saying she was going to charge £30, as she says the whole production cost around £500.

I am puzzled.   Why have her families never contributed before,  ie:   Mum, we'll bring the puddings and creams and mince pies.   Another could say, I'll buy and cook (or just buy) some gammon,  they surely could all  muck in and do something.    Maybe the Mother has allowed herself to be taken advantage of for a long time, and the family size has grown.   
The mother must know what they are all able to afford, and now thinks this is a fair contribution.   Maybe, she is hoping they will all get indignant and go elsewhere !!
Whatever, her reasons, she has obviously been taken advantage of for a long time I would guess.
Perhaps, the family would all like to go out for Christmas Day Meal and take Mum, they will soon realise that it will cost a lot more than Mum's proposed prices.
What do you think.    :mad: :lol: :nowink:  regards, Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Christmas Meal Charges
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:54 »
I don't really know what to say. If she has a large family and has always done the meal, then she's probably a bit fed up (pardon the pun) about always being the one to fork out (pardon yet another pun) and has drawn a line under it. If I was invited to one then I'd certainly offer to bring something and be most willing to help out where I could.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 18:44 »
What is the world coming to, if you cannot afford to feed them then don't invite them.

Wonder how many people are being fed for £500?

25 kg Spuds £10
Brussels stalks £1
Carrots £1
Turkey,  no idea as I don't  eat it, but turkey crown for Er indoors & the dog for 2 days £12
Tin gravy powder £1.50
Stuffing £1 packet
Booze cheap at the moment as tesco has 25% off

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 19:12 »
  I always have Christmas dinner at home. Numbers vary but I organise it with me buying everything. Wouldn't cross my mind to ask for a contribution. People will generally ask if i would like them to bring something but i always decline. It's as expensive as you want to make it and at the end of the day its a glorified Sunday dinner with extras. People seem to make it difficult and hard work but if you're used to a Sunday roast it isn't really. Just a bit of forward planning. Now, people asking for help with clearing up and washing the pots, yes please.  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 19:40 »
There was a similar story on face book with regards to thanksgiving dinner. For me it would depend if I was invited, I would certainly offer to make & take something. If I was do8ng the inviting & someone offered to bring something it would depend on numbers etc.
On the other hand if it was a case of are we doing Christmas at yours again this year/ whose got the most room to accommodate everyone etc & it was a joint affair. Then I think it would be only fair to split the cost or if it was a case of one person organising it all & doing the shopping then splitting the cost.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 20:17 »
I think most family members contribute something towards the Christmas day catering, ours always have.
Bring a pudding/cake/mince pies or the wine or buy the joint in advance, that kind of thing... It all helps!

I've always taken flowers, wine or other gift for the person who's cooking the dinner, when I'm asked to go for a meal (not family).
By the way, the one I saw being discussed on FB was asking for £17, which is a bit more reasonable  ::)
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mother-law-charging-family-17-13644377

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 20:41 »
Whole family to me this year. So we are 17 all together . All 4 daughters are providing something and 1 son in law has made the pudding. Another partner will make trifle. I think I have only got the turkey and veg to worry about —— oh and two sauces. No probs when everyone shares. Also my Christmas is on 27th this year.🤣🤣🤣

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 21:45 »
What is the world coming to, if you cannot afford to feed them then don't invite them.

25 kg Spuds £10
Brussels stalks £1
Carrots £1
Turkey,  no idea as I don't  eat it, but turkey crown for Er indoors & the dog for 2 days £12
Tin gravy powder £1.50
Stuffing £1 packet

I think she may be buying her Christmas from Waitrose ! :)

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 21:54 »

25 kg Spuds £10
Brussels stalks £1
Carrots £1
Tin gravy powder £1.50
Stuffing £1 packet

I think she may be buying her Christmas from Waitrose ! :)

Lol, I think I like the Waitrose  version best😊

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 23:33 »
Christmas food always costs more than an elaborate Sunday meal for an extended family.  The meal provider always buys far more than necessary and caters for a wide variety of possible choices.... even if you keep the main meal simple it becomes a much larger plate than you would provide on any other occasion + the cheeses, + the puddings, and the possible vegetarian or fruit options + the wine and just the extended sitting around and eating/ drinking for a large number of people over a whole afternoon and into the evening.  Our meat, which is usually a rib roast these days for about 12 adults + chicken for the younger kids costs a lot of money and that is the main cost, it's nice for children/ extended family to offer puddings or wine or cheese or whatever but laying on a celebration meal for maybe 16+ goes into the hundreds of £.  I love it and remember many years when we were the recipients of my parents/ siblings generosity and now rely on my daughters large kitchen/ dining room catering for us all but we always pay for meat and generally the wine with everyone else bringing along other bits and pieces, puddings cheese etc.

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 14:15 »
To me it's all getting very silly. If I had loads of people coming round I'd do a simple starter such as my fave prawn cocktail or a pate followed by a buffet consisting of roast ham, beef and goose so they could take what they fancied along with various side-dishes. Puds would be a choice of hot or cold. For afters there'd be a small selection of cheese, grapes with appropriate biscuits plus parlour games to follow. If that wasn't good enough they can get, er, sage and onioned!

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 17:34 »
we are usually go to my daughters for Christmas dinner so its all in turkey and all the trimmings although we are going for two pre-Christmas dinners before the day

fist one at a pub £11.45 for two corse meal wine or tea  not included but then i don't drink alcahol and drive

second [local history society]  £22.50 starter soup roll butter then main turkey or vegi  with three veg then Christmas pud and  mince pies  cup coffee and a small glass of sherry not bad A"

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 18:00 »
To me it's all getting very silly. If I had loads of people coming round I'd do a simple starter such as my fave prawn cocktail or a pate followed by a buffet consisting of roast ham, beef and goose so they could take what they fancied along with various side-dishes. Puds would be a choice of hot or cold. For afters there'd be a small selection of cheese, grapes with appropriate biscuits plus parlour games to follow. If that wasn't good enough they can get, er, sage and onioned!

I like the sound of that, can I come.   Is it going to be 25th December.   Apparently, is been so popular its being held on the same date this year  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 19:21 »
sorry  Mrs b all the tickets are sold out and it all happens before the 25th December You cant get enough of a good Christmas meal turkey and all the trimmings "bring it on" :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 20:32 »
  :ohmy: :ohmy:  Mrs B

xx
Library charges...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 12:10
by Growster...
xx
Bank Charges

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2020, 11:35
by New shoot
xx
Delivery charges

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 20:26
by grinling
xx
Inflation and allotment charges

Started by cardoon queen on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2022, 20:35
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 50 queries.