OS maps...

• 5 Replies

Scribbler

OS maps...
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:34 »
Does anyone know who decides what gets put on OS maps?

Reason I ask is that the site of a Roman villa near where I live has appeared on OS maps for years, but does not appear on latest maps.

I would have though that once identified as a site of archaeological interest, it would have stayed on the map for ever?

It's on a golf course, close to the back garden of a large house. Could the club or the house owner have exerted pressure to get it removed?
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Goosegirl

Re: OS maps...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27 »
I know they update their maps from time to time, but it's usual practise to keep marking such things unless something of more importance nearby took precedence and they couldn't include both on their map. How lucky you are to live near a Roman site - have you had any finds?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 13:24 »
I'm not a digger, but I think it's important to keep history alive. Have a nasty feeling the site might have been removed either following pressure from local landowners, or even historical groups.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 13:33 »
Perhaps email OS direct and get their point of view?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 15:50 »
Contacted OS via their Facebook page. Response was as follows:

"Hello Xxxxx - not neccessarily shown forever on the Explorer map. We only show sites that are recognised by Historic England at their request and that open to the public all year round. In this case the site of the Roman Villa is in the private grounds of Harpsden Wood House so we would not indicate this as a publically accessible feature on the leisure map anyway. It may have be labelled on older versions of our mapping, but the criteria used to show features can change over time. I hope this helps to explain. Kind regards Linda"

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 15:50 »
I'm not a digger, but I think it's important to keep history alive. Have a nasty feeling the site might have been removed either following pressure from local landowners, or even historical groups.
I would very much doubt that it's been removed; in fact it may not be marked to avoid any numptie trampling all over the site with a metal detector or whatever. 

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 34 queries.