flowers on my potato crop?

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

flowers on my potato crop?
« on: September 01, 2018, 20:04 »
went down the allotment today to have a look round having been away from the allotment for several weeks ill  the potato crop looks fine except they all have flower on the tops does anyone know why this is

are they re growing after being starved of water? I didn't dig any up to see if there was any potatoes I was just surprised to see flowers on the stalks never seen that before all the time I've been gardening  :unsure:

snowdrops

Re: flowers on my potato crop?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 20:10 »
Lots of potatoes flower, there are some that don’t though, so maybe you’ve grown those before or maybe just not seen them. Once flowering has finished the tomato like fruit develop. Highly poisonous & not to be confused with green tomatoes
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 20:20 »
You've just not noticed them before, that's all. Even if you've always grown a variety that doesn't flower, other plots would have had flowers on their plants.

I've seem many white flowers before, but noticed some this year which were a pretty purple colour - I'd love to know which variety that was  :)

JoshP

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:26 »
I think some crops have come back into flower since getting some rain. May also have caused secondary growth and chitting on the daughter tubers though....

I believe Maris Piper has purple flowers.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:59 »
I think some crops have come back into flower since getting some rain. May also have caused secondary growth and chitting on the daughter tubers though....

I believe Maris Piper has purple flowers.
Kestrel also has purple flowers, and performed better than Lady Cristl, Swift and Charlotte in the extreme heat we had this year, producing the heaviest crop and the largest spuds. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 18:44 »
You've just not noticed them before, that's all. Even if you've always grown a variety that doesn't flower, other plots would have had flowers on their plants.

I've seem many white flowers before, but noticed some this year which were a pretty purple colour - I'd love to know which variety that was  :)

Lots of purple flowered potatoes.. as well as the ones mentioned, Maris Peer has too, and they are quite scented  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 12:32 »
the wife lifted some potatoes today and your rite they are re growing although the tops are still green mite be best to cut the tops of and then harvest the potato crop

despite the dry conditions there seems to be quite a crop to harvest some really good sized spuds some small ones should last us through the winter never thought we would have any potatoes with the dry summer I'm just thankful we have a crop of spuds

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 15:19 »
I'm surprised we did so well with ours as we only had the sprinkler on a few times and well before the supposed ban. Charlottes were great, Landy Crystal were rubbish but the Elfe are being harvested now and we got loads off the first root! They taste lovely and buttery and can be used for anything except as a salad potato though I haven't tried using them as that.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Potato Flowers

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 16:56
by LotuSeed
xx
Potato flowers

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 21:30
by Trillium
xx
potato flowers

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2021, 08:45
by mumofstig
xx
Potato Flowers.

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 07:45
by arh

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.