australian tree fern

• 3 Replies

pvc

australian tree fern
« on: June 07, 2018, 22:54 »
hi has anyone got any advice on growing these as I want to purchase one and keep it in a large pot for a while  till I a space in my garden becomes available  any ideas would be appreciated thanks

mrs bouquet

Re: australian tree fern
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:50 »
Hi, I have a tree fern, it has been in my garden for a few years.  The Trunk (which are actually the roots) was about 18 to 20" when I bought it and is now about 36 inches, the ferns are about 30 inches, so it is looking nice except this year there are more ferns on one side than the other, so it looks a bit lopsided.
I see you are in Merseyside, so it may be colder in your garden than mine.   In the late autumn I fill the top of the trunk, ie: inside the ferns, with horticultural fleece, made into a ball filled with dry straw.  and push in firmly into place. Then I fold all the ferns over that, and wrap it all in about 3 to 4 sheets of fleece.
In spring, after the frost risk, I unwrap it and cut off the folded in ferns and remove the straw, and give it a good multi purpose feed, of something slow release - its not too fussy.   You will now be able to see or feel the little "monkey knuckles".
It is in semi shade, and only gets early evening direct sun, as they can scorch.   Sometimes I give it water, again into the centre where the ferns start.
Mine seems to be a very happy tree and is always admired.
Further advice would be, if you are going to keep it in a pot over winter, I would wrap as above the entire plant, and put several newspapers tied round the pot, with bubble wrap over that.  Don't bubble wrap the plant, it makes it sweat !!.
I hope this helps, and you soon get yours and enjoy watching it grow.  regards  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

pvc

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 16:26 »
thank you mrs bouquet for your your detailed and useful advice I did not realise that you had to water where the ferns are growing I now eagerly await my purchase  my only problem is that where iam going eventually position it gets very dry in the summer but it is in the shade thanks again pvc

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 16:41 »
Treeferns are an understory canopy plant so naturally would be under the taller trees & not in full sun if it is Dicksonia Antarctica you are referring too which I think you are( At least, I think that’s what they are called, my brain is a little fuddled after a week relaxing on holiday lol )
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
How to dig an old fern ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2019, 16:47
by mrs bouquet
xx
fern trees

Started by rubixs on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:25
by sunshineband
xx
Tasmanian fern

Started by prakash_mib on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 19:29
by sunshineband
clip
Fern ID needed.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2022, 16:13
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 35 queries.