maretail

• 3 Replies

barryrey

maretail
« on: June 05, 2018, 21:05 »
hi all thanks for the add      can anyone give me ideas on ho to get rid of mares tail i`ve just got the allotment and it is full of it
thanks 

snowdrops

Re: maretail
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 21:25 »
hi all thanks for the add      can anyone give me ideas on ho to get rid of mares tail i`ve just got the allotment and it is full of it
thanks

Loads of threads on here plus article on Home page on perennial weeds if you search. Don’t get down heartened by it, it does get less if you keep at it. Welcome to the site😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

John Harrison (the site owner) has some advice here
Control Horse or Mare's Tail - Equisetum Arvense

The only other option is to dig as much of it out as you can, and regularly  hoe off any regrowth as it appears, hence the saying " never let it see a Sunday"
Mare's (Horse's) Tail Treatment in Growing FAQs and other Information - Page 1 of 1
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:31 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 16:46 »
Its roots can go down for miles so anything that will weaken the growth will be a help. I've got two sorts: one in a nearby dyke and the other more usual one in my flower borders. The reason they don't respond very well to glyphosate weed-killers is because their ferny leaves contain silica (in the old days they were actually used to wash plates etc) so any spraying just runs off. Apart from hoeing and digging, if you bruise their leaves first by treading on them or banging them with a hammer, the ingredients in the spray will be more able to get into its system.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.