Watershoots on Rowan... leave or trim?

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Watershoots on Rowan... leave or trim?
« on: June 01, 2018, 22:15 »
We have a Rowan on our property that didn't produce berries last year. It was surrounded by a heavily matted shrub that was sucking up all the water (some sort of thing that has grass-like leaves about a foot long and puts up a few stalks with bright orange flowers running up them). I pulled up the matted dead stuff and cleared around the Rowan for a couple of feet and mulched it heavily.

In the late autumn, the Scottish Power treecare contractors arrived and looked at it. Since it was right under a powerline they gave it a hard haircut to about 10 feet in height, reducing it by about a third.

This spring it has thrown up a clump of watershoots at its base and I wondered if I should leave them or trim them off?

Still no sign of flowers on it at all but even its wildgrowing neighbours only have a few flowers so far.
Rowan.jpg

mrs bouquet

Re: Watershoots on Rowan... leave or trim?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:21 »
That's a good 'photo.  Personally I would cut them off.  You need the strength going back up into the tree.
It feels threatened at the moment so it is sending up the suckers, and it is possible that the base caught a bit of damage recently, and that would also encourage base growth.  Once it has recovered from shock, I am sure it will perform nicely for you again.  So go and give it a hug, and speak to it nicely.  :D Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:47 »
Oh it will get more than a hug! It is effectively in intensive care.

Having cleared the base, it has been watered during our current heatwave up here in Scotland, has had two full wheelbarrows of part-composted wood chippings all to itself and recently the turfed-out remains of a large pot of compost from a plant that didn't survive the winter.

It does have surface roots running along the ground and those are now mostly covered under a shallow layer of chippings.

It is doing well enough for an abandoned tree - I dealt with crossed branches that I could reach when we moved in last year and then it got the Scottish Power military buzz cut last October. Saws by Silky, no less!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 15:12 »
Taking those sucker shoots off is a good idea, even better if you are able to tear them away rather than cut them, as this also removes the growing point, effectively preventing a further shoot growing there
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 00:20 »
I'd take them off too. I heard it called panic growth by an arboriculturalist who also worked for Scottish Power giving Welsh trees buzz cuts. :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

clip
Ropey Rowan?

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2023, 08:59
by New shoot
xx
When to prune a Rowan?

Started by DanielCoffey on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 16:49
by sunshineband
xx
The Dead Rowan Tree

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 12:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
Too late to trim box hedge?

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 13:13
by Kristen

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.