Some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chillies

• 9 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chillies
« on: May 30, 2018, 21:18 »
These Blumen seeds were on a very posh stand in my garden centre so I asked my other half to buy me them for my birthday! ;) 'Trinidad Moruga Scorpion' chillies, the 2nd hottest chillies in the world after the Carolina Reapers.
At 5 or 6 quid a pack for 10 seeds they're not cheap at all so when I opened them up and found only 7 seeds I was really disappointed. However all 7 have germinated (1 straggly one) in the heated propagator so I'm happy again.

Anyone else ever grown these? How did yours turn out?
20180530_205929.jpg
20180530_205936.jpg
20180530_210102.jpg

Plot94

Re: Some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chillies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:17 »
Yes I have grown these very successfully, a friend of mine (from Trinidad) gave me some seeds a few years ago. The chillies are as the name suggests very hot, I have dried and ground them to powder which I use on almost everything (except breakfast  :D). Same some seeds from the best fruits as these do germinate well and you will have free plants from now on. Good luck

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:25 »
Yes I have grown these very successfully, a friend of mine (from Trinidad) gave me some seeds a few years ago. The chillies are as the name suggests very hot, I have dried and ground them to powder which I use on almost everything (except breakfast  :D). Same some seeds from the best fruits as these do germinate well and you will have free plants from now on. Good luck

Great, drying them is good idea, I was wondering how I might actually use these fiery beasts!

Do they do OK from saved seed as I thought they were a hybrid variety?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:49 »
No they are a stable variety that comes true from seed, so no worries there!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sladefungus

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 14:37 »
They sell that variety here in Italy in supermarkets and last year and this year I tried their naga morich and cancun varieties which both had poor germination and poor growth, even here in a hotter climate.  Hope yours do better.  Thankfully they only cost 2 euros a pack here.
Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 22:23 »
I'd probably avoid this brand, 6 good plants from 7 seeds aint bad but it did say 10 seeds average on the pack, not worth the money really. For a couple of Euros though...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11 »
I have been growing chillies for 4+ decades, you will find most of the superhots will be a little less reliable for germination than the average say cayenne, this is normal.

To get 6 from the 7 sown is not bad, in truth you will probably only need 1 plant unless you have asbestos lined you know what  :D

You have paid well over the top truth be told, typically I pay around £2.50-£3 for 10 seeds for the superhots.
Hope they are productive and you enjoy the munching of them.
chilliman.jpg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:12 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Plot94

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 14:17 »
I agree re: germination from seeds in packets, however I do find that saved seed seems to have a much higher success rate. So much so that I generally have a polytunnel full of chillies as I cannot bear to get rid of any. Allways have loads of chilli powder though  :nowink:

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 23:52 »
I have been growing chillies for 4+ decades, you will find most of the superhots will be a little less reliable for germination than the average say cayenne, this is normal.

To get 6 from the 7 sown is not bad, in truth you will probably only need 1 plant unless you have asbestos lined you know what  :D

You have paid well over the top truth be told, typically I pay around £2.50-£3 for 10 seeds for the superhots.
Hope they are productive and you enjoy the munching of them.

I think I got conned by the posh stand and the nice photography on the packets... still, I transplanted two into bigger pots and gave to my friend, I have 4 which are looking good (a bit slow tbh), I'll post pics as they grow!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 20:03 »
They generally need a longer growing season, I start mine in January.
With all this hot weather it may play into your hands and you will get a good crop.
Look forward to the photos.

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
chillies

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:35
by siandc
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
Chillies help please.

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 19:14
by peapod

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 45 queries.