Automatic watering system

• 3 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Automatic watering system
« on: May 24, 2018, 19:07 »
Good evening everyone.  I've cobbled together an automatic watering system but need to ask a seemingly simple question.  How much water do I allow each plant so it doesn't go dry but I don't waste water.

How much water do greenhouse crops, i.e. tom's, sweet potatoes and melons need?  I can allow the drips to fill a container and that way calculate the water rate.

Cheers,  Tony.

P.S. (if it works) how are these for a fine pair of pears)!
IMG_5418.jpg
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Automatic watering system
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:55 »
I understand what you're trying to do but for me there isn't a simple answer - much depends on the size of the plants, the size of the containers they're in, and the ambient temperature.

A fully grown tomato plant consumes much more water than a young one, and in warm sunny weather my greenhouse plants need watering every day, but in cooler cloudy conditions perhaps only every 3 days.

Obviously hard to reflect that with an automatic watering system - I think you can only use trial and error to aim for a compromise flow rate which will avoid extremes of over or under watering most of the time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants, and plonk your potatoes in the soil.

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 13:16 »
Thanks for that JayG. 'tis a case of 'suck it and see'!

Cheers,  Tony.

Mr Dog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 17:18 »
There are retail systems about that adjust the supply to the plants' needs - the Tropf Blumat system and generic ceramic cones being ones that I know of. Otherwise it really is suck and see.

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 33 queries.