Morning all :)

• 222 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Morning all :)
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2018, 14:10 »
With the hot weather, I've mostly been getting out quite sharpish, so any morning posts are a bit on the late side, like today.
The tomatoes have been pruned and tied up, allotment watered and a bit of hoeing , peas and raspberries picked,  :ohmy: Home for a cuppa and a cheese and HG tomato in a HM roll. Life is good..

Hope your day is as good :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2018, 08:46 »
Morning  :)
Much cooler today, so wondering what to do first now it's actually cool enough to do something  :lol: :lol

There's a lot of potting on to be done, or should I take the overdue library books back  ::) Decisions, decisions - first another cup of tea ........

Have a nice day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2018, 11:25 »
Working today, but at least it is a bit cooler.  Had some very hot, sap draining days at work recently that have left me feeling a bit like a damp dishcloth  :(  At least I don't do a big commute these days.  That is hell in this weather.

We have a chance of showers later.  Fingers, toes and everything else crossed here  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2018, 13:09 »
I forced myself to get up when I woke at around 6.30 & was at the plot by 7.30 as it’s another scorcher here today. By 10. 30 I was homeward bound & ready for my late first coffee of the day, done a fair bit of what I wanted to do,but there’s more, but then again there always is isn’t there. After said coffee I went in search of cucumbers in case there was some I’d missed  & ended up winding the toms round the strings & side shooting them & taking some vigorous leaves off. So now I’ve had lunch it’s a case of shall I do more gardening related jobs, wash the kitchen floor,finish the ironing or pod the broad beans?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2018, 20:07 »
Hey!

As we don't watch the awful bbc any more, the news comes via the PC/Ipad, and that's that!

So what is happening? Is there a football match somewhere? Dunno really.

As for us, we have a clutch of library books to devour. I'm on Stella Rimington's novel 'Present Danger', (fantastic writing, I'd love to meet such a great woman), and Mrs Growster is up for M.C Beaton...

So there it is...;0)

snowdrops

« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2018, 20:40 »
Hey!

As we don't watch the awful bbc any more, the news comes via the PC/Ipad, and that's that!

So what is happening? Is there a football match somewhere? Dunno really.

As for us, we have a clutch of library books to devour. I'm on Stella Rimington's novel 'Present Danger', (fantastic writing, I'd love to meet such a great woman), and Mrs Growster is up for M.C Beaton...

So there it is...;0)

Shame you’re not in the WI Stella Rimmington was the guest speaker at the recent WI AGM, she was signing books as well

Goosegirl

« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2018, 11:37 »
Life's very good here too. Had my other cataract removed on Wednesday, patch came off yesterday, and today I can see the wires coming from the pylons in the very far distance!! My cheap reading specs are great for close-up work. Did a lot of watering last night so am twiddling my thumbs at the moment wondering what to do that doesn't involve bending down, and rejoicing in my Lavender Hidcote that's in a tub by the window which is  flowering its little heart out! 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2018, 07:42 »
That must be lovely for you GG & when i read on your thread about your op it made me less frightened if I should ever need that op, so thank you.
Up reasonably early this morning, off to our local Soap box Derby today down the towns Main Street,it’s a hill which is essential for the soap boxes, our daughter enters it so we have a good laugh. Round to hers after for a bbq, then our little granddaughter is having a sleepover which should be fun, she’s such a character, bless her she’s just develop stutter, her little brain is going faster than her mouth can keep up.

Growster...

« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2018, 11:21 »
Had to come in from cutting the hedge, it's just too hot and draining out there!

The project is to reduce a 7ft holly/laurel hedge by about half so I can easily cut it with the lighter battery trimmer. It took an hour and a half yesterday to do a strip 10ft long, so there's at least another two days work...:0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2018, 12:43 »
Growster  DON'T! I'll get very cross if you pass out and hurt yourself in this heat. I went out earlier and phew! If it gets any hotter I'll have to take my thermals off!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2018, 16:14 »
Growster  DON'T! I'll get very cross if you pass out and hurt yourself in this heat. I went out earlier and phew! If it gets any hotter I'll have to take my thermals off!  :lol:

I was wearing a Kent County Cricket Club sun hat polo shirt and shorts, Goosey - in no particular order..;0)

Today - Monday, just about finished it all in the cooler afternoon.

Got an idea.

The inch thick stems of the laurel and holly are all now about 4 ft high, and pretty well bare. I've cut all the dross away.

There are four larger 'trunks' of ash and holly etc at regular intervals, and as the cut hedge is still a couple of feet deep, I reckon a good idea would be to wire/tie all these bare - but alive - stems in bunches, and then tie them back to the bigger stuff. This will reduce the depth.

This will also mean that the additional strength will be there, and I can trim it all to shape as it develops. Of course, the wire will be there forever, but so what? It's no different to growing a hedge over a rusty old fence, and after a few weeks, you won't see anything anyway! The hedge cutter will be working well away from the stems.

Well that's the latest plan anyway!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 20:03 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2018, 09:24 »
Now it's cooler, and rainy outside, I think I'll actually start catching up with the housework, especially the ironing  :D I've not been doing much indoors, in the heat, most of my energy was spent watering the allotment and garden  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2018, 10:01 »
Now it's cooler, and rainy outside, I think I'll actually start catching up with the housework, especially the ironing  :D I've not been doing much indoors, in the heat, most of my energy was spent watering the allotment and garden  ::)

Great minds an' all that Mum!

Mrs Growster has just tackled all the ironing, and persuaded me to clean all the windows upstairs...

xx
This morning I woke up...

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2020, 12:18
by mrs bouquet
xx
Macmillan Coffee Morning

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2019, 17:02
by Pescador
xx
Early Morning Club

Started by Ma Lowe on Chatting on the Plot

2706 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 20:35
by Paul Plots
xx
Mobile having a funny turn this morning..

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2023, 12:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 51 queries.