What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

Lardman

Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #705 on: October 19, 2018, 20:21 »
..  supermarket bacon loses all its water in about three minutes, it's still pretty good with some full-fat baked beans!

Back before my beard went white  ::) , I used to have smoked back bacon shipped 120 miles from the "dirty butcher" (an E.H.O. at the local council's words not mine) , that was pretty good. I'm going to have to dispute your claims about supermarket offerings having recently bought some.

The days when 3 rashers of bacon and a slice of extra mature cheddar made everything better are unfortunately long gone.   :nowink:

madcat

« Reply #706 on: October 20, 2018, 19:47 »
Back before my beard went white  ::) , I used to have smoked back bacon shipped 120 miles from the "dirty butcher" (an E.H.O. at the local council's words not mine) , that was pretty good. I'm going to have to dispute your claims about supermarket offerings having recently bought some.

When you are retired and have more time ( :lol: :lol:) you could cure and salt your own.  Now there is a little dream for dull days ... 

Cold meat (ham and turkey, co-op bargains) with steamed beet greets, cabbage, bit calabrase, grilled toms and steamed spuds for OH are on the way.  Trying to resist the idea of a little cheese sauce ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #707 on: October 20, 2018, 19:56 »
Pea and mint soup with some crusty home-made bread.
The last of the Medieval Peasant’s Flour, which makes lovely bread mixed 50:50 with ordinary bread flour, was reaching its BB date, so needed to use it up  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #708 on: October 20, 2018, 20:08 »
Pea and mint soup with some crusty home-made bread.
The last of the Medieval Peasant’s Flour, which makes lovely bread mixed 50:50 with ordinary bread flour, was reaching its BB date, so needed to use it up  :)
It's no wonder it was reaching its BB date, being Medieval. How did the peasant feel about you taking his flour?
 :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #709 on: October 20, 2018, 20:15 »
Salmon fillets steamed with shredded leeks, soy and ginger, rice and and some extra stir-fry veg a.k.a. fridge clear out.

snowdrops

« Reply #710 on: October 20, 2018, 20:18 »
..  supermarket bacon loses all its water in about three minutes, it's still pretty good with some full-fat baked beans!

The days when 3 rashers of bacon and a slice of extra mature cheddar made everything better are unfortunately long gone.   :nowink:

😱 A beard, never considered a beard 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #711 on: October 20, 2018, 20:19 »
2nd outing for the Irish stew, this time  with dumplings . Still some left & a plate of meat.

Lardman

« Reply #712 on: October 21, 2018, 21:03 »
Now there is a little dream for dull days ... 

Retirement or decent slices of bacon ?  :nowink:

😱 A beard, never considered a beard 😂

How else would I keep my chin warm ? You know I'm not putting the central heating on until 10c.

There was gammon, there was cheese sauce (with cauli and broccoli) and there were chips  :tongue2:  I'm sure I will suffer for it tomorrow but it was worth it.  :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #713 on: October 22, 2018, 18:11 »
I've caught a bad case of the cba's this afternoon which normally means pasta and pesto or nuking a spud but even the decision feels like rather too much effort at the moment ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2018, 19:46 »
Oh dear - Jkt and beans and cheese? That's my go to  ;)

The last of the plum toms on the windowledge had ripened so made a pasta sauce with onion, garlic and bacon bits and cooked penne pasta to go with it. French beans in honey/mustard sauce as a side.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: October 23, 2018, 21:06 »
Pork chop, plot spuds, plot cabbage and spoon standing.  Very simple, but good  :)

Lardman

« Reply #716 on: October 23, 2018, 21:14 »
Oh dear - Jkt and beans and cheese? That's my go to  ;)

I gave myself a stern talking to, dragged myself into the kitchen put the turkey breast in the slow cooker then  promptly fell asleep until 01:30  :ohmy: oops. I was going to try and rescue it tonight with a sauce as it's somewhat dry  :nowink: but nuked the last of the big spuds instead. 

madcat

« Reply #717 on: October 24, 2018, 15:00 »
I'm sure there is a starving mutt who would happily help with the turkey!   :D :D

Tonight is (bargain) chicken and gravy pie, with beetroot (clearing the last of them off the plot - the beasties have found them!  >:( ) gratin and steamed pak choi.  Some spuds for OH ...

Lardman

« Reply #718 on: October 24, 2018, 17:43 »
I'm sure there is a starving mutt who would happily help with the turkey!   :D :D

I'll ask but I'm pretty sure he'll complain it's dry and under-seasoned  ;)

Guess I'll have to turkey and the trimming - doesn't feel right without sprouts but Ml finished those off last week.

snowdrops

« Reply #719 on: October 24, 2018, 18:11 »
The 2nd half of Monday’s fish pie,steamed carrots & green beans

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishing Season 2018

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

69 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 15:12
by Aled

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 52 queries.