Onions from seed - 2018

• 133 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onions from seed - 2018
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2018, 09:33 »
I completely forgot to post about my sowing in my diary (and on here!). I now have the first showings of "North Holland Blood Red Redmate" onions.  These can be grown as spring onions or left to bulb. I did the latter with a few last year and they made good medium size bulbs that stored well, so I'm going for a few more this year. Currently in the kitchen window (with foil). They'll be moved to the slightly heated greenhouse when a few more have emerged.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2018, 17:04 »
My Ailsa Craig, Rijnsburger  and  Red Brunswick onions have been happy in my sheltered but unheated G/H for a few weeks now and are app 2" tall. Have sown a few more Red Brunswick.
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2018, 17:28 »
I've no idea why, but the Ailsa Craig that I sowed on 23/12 and transplanted into individual pots in a gently heated large propagator in late January have all died off. Maybe I transplanted them too soon? Started a new batch on 3rd Feb which are yet to show

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36 »
I usually transplant once they have their second leaf and that seems to work.  I lose the odd one, but most are fine.

Mine are sitting on the windowsill inside at the moment and my second sowing are pushing up with their first leaves.

Mr Dog

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 15:02 »
Well the germination rate of the first lot has been really poor so more seeds sown and off we go again.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 15:34 »
I think mine are too cold on the kitchen window-ledge - they don't look very happy at all  :(
So I've moved them into the spare bedroom, on the table in front of the window. Fingers crossed that will suit them better - otherwise I'll have to start all over again when it warms up a bit  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 18:47 »
I think mine are too cold on the kitchen window-ledge - they don't look very happy at all  :(
So I've moved them into the spare bedroom, on the table in front of the window. Fingers crossed that will suit them better - otherwise I'll have to start all over again when it warms up a bit  ::)

When mine were tardy in showing their elbows, moving them to somewhere are about 18C did the trick. They are not likely to have rotted as they are small and hard
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45 »
Just remembered the onions from the HSL - Strigonovsky. So they've got sown this morning and are now sitting on the kitchen windowsill in their propagator. (Tesco polythene bag).

Mr Dog

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 13:09 »
Re-potted the giant onions - the biggest ones are now about pencil width.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 13:29 »
Only just noticed this thread! Think I need to book myself in to see meself to check me eyes  :lol:

So for THEE very first time I am growing me onions from seeds, based on me neighbours success I felt it had to be done.
I have 180 Bedfordshire Champion sowed waiting to poke through, I was a little late sowing mainly because I forgot!

So I shall update as I go along.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

LILLILEAF

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 19:22 »
 I put my onion seeds in on the 18-1-18,they have finally sprouted 5 up so far,so that is just a bit under a month,is that about the right legth of  time to germinate?.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2018, 08:00 »
I put my onion seeds in on the 18-1-18,they have finally sprouted 5 up so far,so that is just a bit under a month,is that about the right legth of  time to germinate?.

That is a long time.  Where are they and what temperature are they at?  They might be too cool and that is slowing things down.

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2018, 14:43 »
Mine have only just started to poke up, sown just over 2 weeks ago. I have mine out in an unheated greenhouse.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2018, 16:34 »
My second (replacement) sowing are in a heated propagator and the first two or three are just showing exactly 14 days after sowing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2018, 16:42 »
Some of mine have just withered away at soil level, so I've done some re-sowing. They are not on the heat anymore, just on the table in front of the window, so we'll see if they germinate.

xx
Seed suppliers bad year 2018?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2018, 20:05
by mumofstig
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Onions from seed

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:42
by AndyRVTR
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 55 queries.