Flap Jacks

• 6 Replies

LILLILEAF

Flap Jacks
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:40 »
On sunday i decided to make flap jacks simple enough you would think?.
Mixture made in the tray it goes timer on,i fetch them out of the oven leave for 10 min to cool,then i will cut into squares.
Later on when they are cold i go to put them in a container,and they fall apart it looks like breakfast cereal :mad:why did they do this? i pushed and squashed the mixture down,i used chunky oats syrup sugar and butter,what did i do wrong?? any idea.Lillileaf

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Flap Jacks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:37 »
Did you perhaps, try to make them too thin? Or, too many oats in the recipe, so not enough of the other ingredients to bind it all together?

Thinking about this, I looked at my old recipe book and the recipe I have says cook for 30mins....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:38 by mumofstig »

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 22:53 »
Thoughts

- what was your cooking time/temperature? Lowering the temperature a little and possibly cooking for longer should make them stickier.
- did you use proper butter (which is about 20% water) rather than any 'healthy' alternative with (possibly) more water thus diluting the sugars and giving the mixture less 'binding' power.
- did you over boil the fat/syrup so that the final product was brittle? I would have thought that you would get an increase in caramel flavour if this was the case.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:48 »
Hi thanks for the tips,i have taken them on board,but i think my biggest mistake was using white granulated sugar instead of demerara as this sugar is not refined it is a cane sugar,may be i am right may be not.
I will have another go to see if there is an improvement.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 18:21 »
I make them every week. Essential to stop them crumbling is to a) firm the mixture well with a back of a spoon before cooking and b) cooling overnight in the fridge before chopping up

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 20:22 »
I use granulated sugar,no problem, not cooking enough, not thick enough & not cold enough, plus do you add the oats to the melted sugar & fat or pour it on the oats as that makes a difference, add oats to mix 😉
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LILLILEAF

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 20:42 »
When I made them I did not leave them over night before cutting or putting them in the fridge,i did use clover and not butter,i am having ago again next weekend so I will try both suggestions,also I use jumbo oats the old type you can buy,i think they give a nicer texture,buts that's just me and they make a great porridge.Lillileaf

xx
Flap jack help ( buckwheat)

Started by Beetroot Queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 13:58
by grinling

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.