Flap jack help ( buckwheat)

• 13 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Flap jack help ( buckwheat)
« on: April 29, 2015, 20:31 »
Tried a buckwheat flapjack and its ok, but only ok

I used buckwheat flakes, dairy free marg, raisins, apple, syrup
Can someone help with amounts, it did stay firm but not firm enough, I am guessing the marg was the cause of that.
Buckwheat has an unusual flavour so I'd like some fruit to counteract that.

Happy to fiddle with recipes but the flakes aint cheap so I'd like as much help as possible first
Thanks all.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Flap jack help ( buckwheat)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 21:02 »
What amounts do you use? I make flap jacks weekly for the hubby's packed lunches:

250g rolled oats
125g butter
60g syrup
50-60g sugar
200g (ish) of dried fruits or nuts

Most important thing in making those firm is to press the whole mixture down really firmly with metal spoon before cooking. Then I won't  even attempt to cut them until they have chilled overnight in the fridge - guaranteed firmness (and I have tried all variations in between). I have used dairy free marg before in the same recipe with no problems but I have never worked with buckwheat.

'Strong' flavoured dried fruits that might work - glacé cherries, cranberries or fresh rhubarb chopped small
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 22:13 by RJR_38 »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 21:14 »
Ok will keep you posted, never thought of rhubarb and we have plenty.  ;) thanks

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 18:42 »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 19:02 »
Thanks willgo and have a looky now. Xx

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 13:03 »
Not sure if buckwheat will behave the same as oats but l struggled to make a decent flapjack for years. Cant tell you how many recipes and methods l have tried and they all came out crumbly or rock hard. Never nice and chewy and holding together. Anyway l have discovered two things - the ingredient quantities have little effect. One is that you only melt things together very gently just to mix them. No boiling etc. (I have even read of people who do no melting at all just mix the  ingredients). The second thing is that baking temperature and times are the biggest factor in the final texture. For a softer, chewier flapjack cooler is better and less time. Remove from oven when they seem underbaked. Also forget scoring whilst warm - you only need to do this if you like rock hard flapjack.
Having said that there is one more thing. Flapjack only work with at least some proportion of the cheaper finer oats. All the good steel cut ones won't hold together. You can use them but you need to grind them down some first. You may need to do the same with your buckwheat if the flakes are large.
And yes the tip about leaving in the tin overnight is a good one. :)

lettice

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 16:07 »
Not too sure from looking it up, if buckwheat is a good substitute for oats.
I bake flapjack every other week, so quick and easy to make.
This is an old recipe handed down many generations.
Never had it crumbly or rock hard.

I use the asda smartprice porridge oats
I also use the 'I cant believe its not butter' type of butters for this, but not melted, so you have to work it straight from the fridge with your hands.

Porridge oats 8oz (222g)
Demerara sugar 6oz (175g)
Butter 6oz (175g)
A tablespoon of golden syrup
A pinch of salt

Add all the ingredients and mix well.
Put into a tray 12inch x 8 inch (30cm x 20cm). Pat down with back of a spoon very hard.
Bake at 190c for 30 minutes
Take out of the oven and make cuts in rectangular shapes approx 4 inch x 2 inch (10cm x 5cm) and let to rest for 15 mins in the baking tray.
Then, take out of baking tray and rest on a wire rack to cool.
They then stay moist.

I have used a white sugar only and a white/brown sugar mix too, same quantities, all that happens is it turns out a lighter colour.

Fairly recent pics from when I last made it.

flapjack one (600 x 450).jpg
flapjack two (600 x 450).jpg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 16:09 by lettice »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 17:37 »
Brilliant i will not be defeated  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 17:48 »
Not sure if buckwheat will behave the same as oats but l struggled to make a decent flapjack for years. Cant tell you how many recipes and methods l have tried and they all came out crumbly or rock hard. Never nice and chewy and holding together. Anyway l have discovered two things - the ingredient quantities have little effect. One is that you only melt things together very gently just to mix them. No boiling etc. (I have even read of people who do no melting at all just mix the  ingredients). The second thing is that baking temperature and times are the biggest factor in the final texture. For a softer, chewier flapjack cooler is better and less time. Remove from oven when they seem underbaked. Also forget scoring whilst warm - you only need to do this if you like rock hard flapjack.
Having said that there is one more thing. Flapjack only work with at least some proportion of the cheaper finer oats. All the good steel cut ones won't hold together. You can use them but you need to grind them down some first. You may need to do the same with your buckwheat if the flakes are large.
And yes the tip about leaving in the tin overnight is a good one. :)

These are exactly the same things I have found Ann! Usually with my oats I use a 50-50 ish mix of cheap value oats and whole rolled ones and they definitely have the best texture. It took me around 3 months of making a batch a week to get the exact recipe/method that worked and now I can do them in my sleep!

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 22:41 »
I find the cooking time is not long enough when i do flapjack i allways add 10 mins, maybe yours just needs a little more time we like ours crunchy .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 06:24 »
This is turning into the great flapjack challenge.

Wonder if Lardman fancies a challenge he always loves  to experiment.

grinling

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 20:06 »
115g chopped dried dates
90ml water
115g dairy free margarine (or butter)
2 tbsp molasses
55g almonds
55g sunflower seeds
225g buckwheat flakes

200c  20mins

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 20:08 »
115g chopped dried dates
90ml water
115g dairy free margarine (or butter)
2 tbsp molasses
55g almonds
55g sunflower seeds
225g buckwheat flakes

200c  20mins

Can I sub almonds for raisins or something else. No nuts in this house.  ;)

grinling

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 13:58 »
I find sultanas more juicy and put glace cherries in as well. I also put melted chocolate on mine.
Instead of molasses, honey or syrup would work.

xx
buckwheat

Started by Selkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 20:29
by WG.
xx
Flap Jacks

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 20:42
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.