Mulching with fern

• 2 Replies

granfer

Mulching with fern
« on: August 20, 2014, 20:09 »
Hi , I know this is not the time of year to do it, but like most allotmenteers, I often stop for a brew , and a ponder!
Although I am an experienced plot holder , I have taken over a new allotment, by the side of an abundant supply of fern and bracken.
So , my question is , does any one know if this would this be suitable to use as a mulch, particularly in the fruit cage-- gooseberries/blackcurrants/raspberries/cherries/plums- my plan is for next spring.
My main concerns are if this would affect either the soil in any way, or fruit production- any thoughts, help or advice will be much appreciated.

Goosegirl

Re: Mulching with fern
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36 »
Personally, I woudn't because the leaves will have spores on that will form new plants, plus you particularly don't want bracken in your plot.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Mulching with fern
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:11 »
Bracken has been in the news quite often in the past few years, firstly because changing farming practices have led to it growing rampantly in areas where it used to be more or less under control, and also because of increasing concern about the carcinogens it contains, which are possibly leaching into some water supplies. One to avoid!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:32 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
How to dig an old fern ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2019, 16:47
by mrs bouquet
clip
Fern ID needed.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2022, 16:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
fern trees

Started by rubixs on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:25
by sunshineband
xx
Tasmanian fern

Started by prakash_mib on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 19:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 37 queries.