polytunnels not worth the money

• 5 Replies

jondav

polytunnels not worth the money
« on: April 30, 2014, 20:55 »
About 2 seasons ago I bought a polytunnel ,the green mesh type, after moderate buffeting by the wind, the small polythene squares have all but disappeared , I,m left basically with a netting structure, O.K. for keeping the birds off, or catching fish L.O.L.. but not much else, yes- I know you are supposed to recover them every so often, but two seasons? . Im saving up for a proper greenhouse.

Lardman

Re: polytunnels not worth the money
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 21:09 »
Was it one of these walk in 'blow away' style things? Im afraid they really are a novelty item, the sort of thing to put up in spring and put away in autumn.  I've not checked recently but when I was looking even the big poly tunnel covering suppliers only gave 4 seasons as life expectancy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 21:55 »
The tunnels on ebay have covers that will quickly degrade, but if you bought one with a galvanised frame - I would have thought it would be worth recovering it with a good cover (not another green one) such as this.
http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/polythene.asp

That'll last while you save up for a greenhouse. It'll cost you a fortune for one as big as a polytunnel  :ohmy:

barley

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 21:59 »
2 seasons  :lol: :nowink:

I was lucky enough to get just 1  :unsure:

I now use the frame covered in netting to protect crops and what was left of the cover was cut up to make some cloches

maybe the term rip off meant the cover !!!! and there was me thinking it was the price for rubbish product  :mad:

needless to say I now have a proper structure

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:16 »
better to invest more money in a proper tunnel from the site linked in a previous post that will last 5- 10 years before needing to be re covered. you get what you pay for, and works out cheaper in the long run.

personally i think tunnels are the best value for money you can get. you pay over 4 times the price for a greenhouse the same size.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 19:55 »
Get what you pay for and put the effort into.  Citadel Polytunnel for us and lots of hard graft setting it up. 

DEFINITELY worth it though.  Now starting to see some results from all the effort and expense...

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 37 queries.