Brackets to hold greenhouse down .. brick dwarf wall not quite right

• 11 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
I got an allotment which had a greenhouse base already placed .. a previous plot holder had a greenhouse there (there's a surprise)

Anyway I got a new greenhouse and it seems slightly larger than the previous, meaning the small dwarf wall is not in the perfect spot. When placing the metal greenhouse frame on the brickwork, the position of the holes would be too near the edge of the bricks.

Inside the frame, probably 3/4 of the brick surface is visible, so there would be plenty of space to fit some sort of bracket, which could 'hook over' the frame base to hold it down. I know when the GH (8' x 6') is full of glass, it should go nowhere, butrI just feel some brackets would help.

Are these available online anywhere
?
thank you

Lardman

Are you straight onto the brick or do you have a sole plate under it?

If it's not built yet the easiest way would be to attach some 4x1 or 4x2 to the top of the wall and secure the greenhouse into that rather than the top of the brick. If you've already built the greenhouse you can persuade some galvanised steel work into the right shape with a hammer  ;)

I flattened some of these then bent them into a shape to fit under the greenhouse frame over the top of the bricks and then down the side. Galv end ties

JayG

• Global Moderator
Is there enough brick showing to fit THESE?

I did a very rough calculation a few years ago and reckon that a gust of wind of around 60mph hitting the long side of an 8X6 greenhouse produces a force greater than the total weight of the (glazed) greenhouse!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Are you straight onto the brick or do you have a sole plate under it?

If it's not built yet the easiest way would be to attach some 4x1 or 4x2 to the top of the wall and secure the greenhouse into that rather than the top of the brick.

I actually got some 4 x 1 1/2 timber the other day from a skip, so they will do the job brilliantly. It'll add a little more height too

I flattened some of these then bent them into a shape to fit under the greenhouse frame over the top of the bricks and then down the side. Galv end ties

Again, thanks for this ..... another option

At least now I don't have to lay any more brickwork

thank you very much for your reply :D

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 22:13 by wbmkk »

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Is there enough brick showing to fit THESE?

Brilliant

My only worry is that my battery drill might not be strong enough to drill holes for those anchors. It might just manage a handful of 7mm diameter holes for my rawl-plugs

I did a very rough calculation a few years ago and reckon that a gust of wind of around 60mph hitting the long side of an 8X6 greenhouse produces a force greater than the total weight of the (glazed) greenhouse!  :ohmy:

Great calculations

When I worked as a structural engineer I knew all about wind forces, but I must admit I never worked out forces on a greenhouse .

Edit to fix quotes
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 20:27 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator

Great calculations

When I worked as a structural engineer I knew all about wind forces, but I must admit I never worked out forces on a greenhouse.

I'm assuming you haven't retired yet - when you do you'll probably surprise yourself with how many daft ideas you suddenly have the time to experiment with (I've heard rumours that my Nobel prize for 'Services to undercover gardeners' is in the post, but quite frankly I don't believe it!  ::)  :lol:)

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
I had exactly the same problem, as suggested above i drilled and fixed some 6" x 2" to the brick base, the bottom edge of my frame had a lip on it so i used lengths of roofing baton under it. Then drilled and screwed the whole lot down.
It did seem a little ott when you see some of the buildings on the plot but if a jobs worth doing etc.

I can get some pics if reqiured.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Yes please for any pics! I'm trying to figure out how to set mine up at the minute.

8doubles

Metal fixing band in either stainless steel or galvanised steel is handy stuff to have.
Can also be used to secure down pipes to the water butt , reinforcing timber joints on raised bed and compost heaps etc .

Most builders merchants will stock it .

Lardman

As 8doubles says - if you can get some galv banding it's very handy and easy to work with.

Here are a couple of pictures of when I did, it was a rush job in the storms at the start of the year so not ideal (i'd have used a longer bracket and drilled into the brick not mortar line).

greenhouse_straps_a.jpg
greenhouse_straps.jpg

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Yes please for any pics! I'm trying to figure out how to set mine up at the minute.

No problem  ;) i'll take some today, i nearly finished glazing it yesterday, i've used 6' foot sheets of corrugated plastic.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
here are a few pics of the greenhhouse..

xx
Polytunnel on dwarf wall

Started by AnneB on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 13:49
by Dullnote
xx
Greenhouse brick base

Started by dexyblue on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 16:15
by Lee1978
xx
Raising aluminium greenhouse onto brick plinth - advice please.

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 10:18
by makedoandmend
xx
Greenhouse twin wall

Started by makedoandmend on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 12:41
by ARPoet

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 35 queries.