Wine glass styles...

• 33 Replies

Growster...

Re: Wine glass styles...
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 05:23 »
Thank you Surbie, whatever grabs you..;0)

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 05:30 »
At 5.25 am, Trills, you've caused tea-sur-keyboard with the bucket jibe..;0)

Of course, you are correct in these styles of glass to go with such and such wine, and I'll ask another partner what he thinks as he is supposed to be an expert, well, he says he is...!

The reason why we went onto these smaller, stemless ones, is that I remember in 'Clochemerle', there was a Beaujolais drinking contest, and they were using glasses very similar to these. Now, although we just adore Boje, our home made creation (see Christleton in the other lot somewhere here), of which we just make gallons without even thinking about it, can get very close to the taste with a little blackberry, and a short memory, so it's doing us a nice favour at the moment!

All good clean fun, so I'll try and find your video, when I can stop laughing at the bucket reference..;0)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08 »
Like various others who've posted on here, I have the posh crystal in the cupboard which comes out on high days and holidays.  The rest of the time, I absolutely love and adore my plain (thin) glasses I picked up from a charity shop.  I think they're probably 1940s, but judging by the shape they may be as early as art deco.  They cost me the princely sum of £2.50, which makes them even more wonderful!! :D

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21 »
We still have seventeen out of a set of eighteen gorgeous lead crystal glasses, which were left us by a dear relative, but they really don't get an outing very much, for the very reason, that we rather like seeing them, and not breaking them..;0)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 11:29 »
Very nice Growster, chunky and good for stability.   ;) 

I use the extra-large bucket types that hold 1/3 of a bottle so I don't have to get up for a refill (as often  :tongue2:) but I'm terrible for knocking them over or putting them down on the skew.  Maybe I should reconsider my choice of vessel?   :D

What's left of the Waterford comes out on occasion, on the basis that nice things are meant to be used or there's little point in having them.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 13:42 »
I use the extra-large bucket types that hold 1/3 of a bottle so I don't have to get up for a refill (as often  :tongue2:)

Spot on! That's my (and The Husband's) only criteria!!  :nowink:

Casey76

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 14:05 »
I have some lovely white wine glasses that I got in a sale (no way would I usually contemplate paying 36CHF (£25) per glass!) - my mother is not allowed near them!

For normal days I have Ik*a glasses, though at the stables we use plastic beakers to drink our crémant (Alsation sparkling wine) - true class ;)

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 20:16 »
Marvellous choices all, and I'll be first in the line to get those...

The decanter drips by the way, so we need all those sheets of kitchen roll handy each time we need a refill.

Kitchen roll is on our list for Thursday...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 20:35 »
I like the tall narrow glasses, as used in Greek bars, cos they're all but indestructible!
I bought a box home with me courtesy of the local taverna ;)

I'm so clumsy that I'm frightened of using the delicate/pretty glases I have hidden away in the cupboard.......

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 20:39 »
I like the tall narrow glasses, as used in Greek bars, cos they're all but indestructible!
I bought a box home with me courtesy of the local taverna ;)

I'm so clumsy that I'm frightened of using the delicate/pretty glases I have hidden away in the cupboard.......

Nice cupboard though, Mums!

And I thought you were an outgoing lady too!

;0)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 22:43 »
We had some wineglasses, just ordinary 80s cafe type glasses, which were getting fewer and fewer over the years.
So I decided it was time for some new ones. 
I was amazed, in the intervening years wineglasses had doubled in size, no way could they be filled up anymore, each one took about half a bottle. And they were taller so I could clear a table with one sweep of the arm  :blush:

But I kept an eye on the charity shops and after a couple of months, found replacements for our old ones, Yey! and we now have a full set of nice ordinary old-fashioned wineglasses which will keep us going for a year or two. (the crystal ones are at the back of the cupboard)
Anne

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 23:52 »
The ones that get used most in this house were ones that came free with using loads of petrol in the 80's! Stubby things with a slight stem - Company car. It also acquired us loads of storage jars! We've the "decent stuff" ie crystal but it rarely gets used as I'm uncertain if it can go through the dishwasher. We've some green ones on a long stem that we noticed on an episode of the Good Life (plus other things which we still have) sad.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52 »
We had some wineglasses, just ordinary 80s cafe type glasses, which were getting fewer and fewer over the years.
So I decided it was time for some new ones. 
I was amazed, in the intervening years wineglasses had doubled in size, no way could they be filled up anymore, each one took about half a bottle. And they were taller so I could clear a table with one sweep of the arm  :blush:

But I kept an eye on the charity shops and after a couple of months, found replacements for our old ones, Yey! and we now have a full set of nice ordinary old-fashioned wineglasses which will keep us going for a year or two. (the crystal ones are at the back of the cupboard)

I did the rounds of our charity shops, Annen, and although they had numerous tiny little glasses for sherry etc, there weren't any for serious knocking over...

I do like those big half-pinters though, as it does save all that extra pouring-out!

These crunchy little things are getting a good road-test, but the dripping decanter needs a good sorting out...

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 05:56 »
The ones that get used most in this house were ones that came free with using loads of petrol in the 80's! Stubby things with a slight stem - Company car. It also acquired us loads of storage jars! We've the "decent stuff" ie crystal but it rarely gets used as I'm uncertain if it can go through the dishwasher. We've some green ones on a long stem that we noticed on an episode of the Good Life (plus other things which we still have) sad.

Ah, Val! Garage glasses! I think we amassed about sixty thousand or even more when - like you- I had a company car, and we even saved up enough coupons for a decanter, which is still lurking somewhere...

I know that somewhere in this house, there is a cardboard box with loads more glasses, but can I find them?

Nope...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:38 »
Hey they must've been quite upmarket garage glasses for the 80s,  ;) ours were amber tumblers with bobbly bottoms, also ceramic soup cups, and cutlery.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.