First show tomorrow

• 10 Replies

Eblana

First show tomorrow
« on: September 06, 2013, 21:48 »
Hi all,

Entering my first Hort show tomorrow and have a little question.

As well as some veg (peas, beans, Toms etc.) I am planning on entering the Dahlia and Gladiola classes and I was wondering how long I should leave the stems?

Sparkyrog

Re: First show tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 21:51 »
my guess and it is only a guess is as long as possible but all the same  :unsure:
I cook therefore I grow

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 21:57 »
Guessing too, but if you leave them long you can always trim them when you get there and see what others are doing.  If you cut them short, you can't stick them on again! :(
Anne

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 22:01 »
Best of luck!  :)

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 23:06 »
Ta,

I am all excited, you would think that it was something big but it is only a local show.  I nearly had a panic attack earlier on when it started to rain because the rain could effect my entries - sad amn't I :D :D :D :D :D

One of the 'semi-pro' showers also has a plot on my site (as well as three others on other sites) and I was told that he has been up and down checking out my plot for weeks now since he discovered that I am mad into Dahlia's like himself and was entering this show, I didn't realise that folks took this showing thing so seriously, I am only in the novice section and he has been showing for years and wouldn't go anywhere near the classes I will be in.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 23:12 »
Talk to him at the show. Having a knowledgable character on your site could be a huge help in the future.

Totty

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 00:16 »
Ok so first show over.  I entered three classes with my Dahlias (didn't bother putting in the glads when I saw what the others had with them - all cotton wool budded up  :blink:)  Anyhow I didn't get anywhere in two of the classes but I did get a third place in the last one so I now have a prize for something I have grown :D :D

I will be much better prepared next year - I will even bring some of them into the Polytunnel as I couldn't believe the size of the flowers that were in some of the classes.

I AM HOOKED.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 00:21 »
Congratulations :)

I will even bring some of them into the Polytunnel as I couldn't believe the size of the flowers that were in some of the classes.

I grow Emory Paul, and without any particular TLC and certainly no disbudding of side buds, it grows massive flowers

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 08:53 »
Well done  :D

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 11:39 »
Brilliant - we entered our first hort show but only in the crafty section about 3 weeks ago.  We entered 7 classes and we got 4 x 1st, 2 x 2nd and a 3rd - we were so chuffed and my mum cried with joy when she saw all our red cards it was a lovely day as my dad had just found out he has cancer.  We entered the flower arrangement with a theme of the country side.  To take dads mind off it we went the day before picking branches, leaves, berries etc from hedgerows and made a display and we came 1st - dad was over the moon.  We now have plans to do many more and hoping dad will be involved with them all :-)  It can be a real family fun event

Well done you - by the way that dahlia is gorgeous xxx

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 18:12 »
Good luck eblana, I'm entering our allotment show tomorrow too, so I have been busy shuffling runner beans and red onions about trying to find 5 or three the same. ::)

xx
Our society show tomorrow...

Started by gavinjconway on The Show Bench

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 22:49
by clairebeau
xx
My first show!!

Started by Cheshire Phill on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:04
by muckyboots
xx
What should I show on?

Started by gardenreg on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 19:24
by gardenreg
clip
First Show

Started by Mr Dog on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 12:56
by Pauly1958

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.