Preparing sweet corn and runner beans

• 1 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Preparing sweet corn and runner beans
« on: September 05, 2013, 19:26 »
Hi all our show boffins..

How do I prepare / display sweetcorn to show it?
Also how do i keep my runner beans fresh if I pick them the night before the show?

We have our plotty show on Saturday.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

Re: Preparing sweet corn and runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 21:58 »
With the corn, I try to leave a stump at the base, cut cleanly about an inch and a half long. Peel a couple of the tatty outer leaves off if need be. When at the show, peel back around a quarter of the leaves in a strip, so as to show off the well pollinated straight lines of kernels ;)

As for the beans, if you can pick the amount needed for the show in one go then that's perfect. I don't grow too many runner plants, and started picking them 6 days before the first show this year. The first one was 18in long and you use that as the measure for the rest. Get a small towel and soak it, get a piece of batten the same length as your beans and roll it tightly once. Then just hold your bean straight and tight against the batten, and roll it up. You can then add more and more beans to the towel as and when they are the right size leading upto the show. So long as you leave a good stalk on the beans and keep the towel really moist, in the bottom of the fridge they will keep perfectly fresh for ages. And you will be surprised at how much you can straighten them.
Put them on some black material, with all stalks cut to the same length and all beans facing the same way.

I have the last show of the year this weekend too. All out of beans now though. Let us know how you get on.

Totty
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 21:59 by Totty »

xx
Runner beans

Started by Jamie Butterworth on The Show Bench

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 14:11
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Runner beans.

Started by Motivator on The Show Bench

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 14:40
by Motivator
xx
preparing onions to show

Started by sunshineband on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 08:41
by Salmo
xx
how to select the broad beans for first show

Started by Sue32 on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 09:05
by carrotfaggot

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 35 queries.