frozen leek

• 4 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
frozen leek
« on: August 19, 2013, 14:28 »
hi. a week to go before the show and my giant leek has started to go soft and presumably, rot. I've tended this beast for over eight months. what would happen were i to put it in the freezer for a week and thaw it out the day before the show? it's category is weight not looks but i'd still like it to look decent(ish).

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: frozen leek
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 14:36 »
I'm almost certain that when thawed from the deep freezer it would be even more mushy than it is now I'm afraid (freezers are far colder than anything they normally encounter outdoors in winter.)

Do you know why it's gone soft and rotten - attack by one of the relatively recent new pests of leeks and other alliums perhaps?

The best chance of preserving it is wrapped in damp newspaper in the fridge I would have thought, which should slow down the progress of the rot if not stop it completely.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BobE

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 14:43 »
Freezers destroy cells that contain a lot of water.  The water expands as it freezes and breaks the cell walls.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 18:31 »
I can't see any pest damage. I rather think I've been too free with liquid feed this last month. I had two big leeks on the go and the other succumbed to squidgy rot some months back.

I cannot fit it in the fridge unless everything else goes and I take the shelves out. Even then It'll be a close run thing.

One week. Unbelievable.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 15:49 »
That is unlucky. But is the main problem when trying to grow a few plants for one perfect specimen. I think Id leave it, maybe cover with some fleece to stop the sun getting at it and wilting it more, and see if its presentable come show day. If its just for weight then condition should not matter so much.

Totty

xx
Hello for Neston info needed on onion leek polt prep and cfl lighting

Started by Willo77 on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 08:46
by carrotfaggot

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.