Showing celery as a salad

• 4 Replies

biguns

Showing celery as a salad
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:24 »
Hi i would like to know if Celery is acceptable for enty into a class for "a collection of salads," there seems to be some confusion about this. and my schedule has nowhere else to place this item,
All comments will be wellcome,
                                                   Thank you Dave
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:26 by arugula »
Huge onions get huge smiles

biguns

Re: Showing celery as a salad
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 18:34 »
Any comments would be welcome, as i need to know so i can fill in my entry form, Thank you , Dave

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 22:22 »
No idea from me, someone will know for sure. Could you contact the organiser to double check.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 22:31 »
All I can comment is, that the 35 people up to now that have viewed the thread, cannot answer your question. Nor can I.

Could I remind you please that it is against site policy to "bump" your own posts and I'm sure that when someone who can answer your question comes along, they will do.

This sub-forum is a very small part of the GYO forum, where in the main, its members are mostly interested in growing food for consumption, not for show, so please bear with us.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 17:39 »
RHS Handbook. Glossary page 162

Salading and salad vegetable
A vegetable used in either a raw or cooked state and served in salads as a cold dish. The following examples are kinds that may be used for horticultural-show purposes: beetroot, cabbages ,carrots, celariac, celery, chickory, chives, corn salad or lamb's lettuce, cress, cress (American or land), cucumbers, dandelion (blanched), endive, Florence fennel, kholrabi, lettuces, mustard or rape, onions(green salad), oriental brassicas, potatoes, radishes, sweet peppers, tomatoes, turnips and watercress.

Most shows base their classes on the RHS handbook. I have to say that my local show would look twice if some of the above were entered as part of a "Collection of salad vegetables". As DD says, ask your show secretary. He may not have a clue. The only person who really has the answer is the judge on the day. Judges carry a handbook with them which is referred to for guidance. Going on the above list celery is OK

xx
showing veg

Started by drmoonshine on The Show Bench

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:48
by drmoonshine
xx
Showing Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:56
by MoreWhisky
xx
Showing Jam

Started by jamima on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:33
by Spana
clip
Help - Salad Blue

Started by Natalie Smith on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2023, 19:24
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.