Help Pig Sunburn

• 47 Replies

Holt

Help Pig Sunburn
« on: June 02, 2009, 20:14 »
Hi All,

Just wondering anybody advice on pigs and sunburn.

Best regards

Craig & Suzanne Holt
Make everyday matter !

wighty

Re: Help Pig Sunburn
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 20:36 »
Well I have horses and staffies,we use normal sun tan  crream on them. sorted!

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi Craig & Suzanne

Welcome to the forums :D

One of our members Roughlee Handled has pigs, I know he puts factor 40 on them to protect them from the sun :) Unsure as to what to do if they have it ??? But I'm sure he'll be along soon and maybe able to offer some advice :)

In the mean time here's a link to one of his posts about the pigs :D
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34177.msg434411#msg434411

Sarah :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 20:39 »
Their skin is very much like ours so treat it the same.  Use some after sun cream, keep them in the shade for a few days and then apply sun block especially to their ears.
Cheese makes everything better.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 21:21 »
As Ice says try to keep them in the shade for a couple of days and apply sun screen.
 I use

Only because the wife bought it. The higher the factor the better.
On sunny days I apply to there ears.  Pigs are like humans they can suffer from heat stroke.
In the photo below you can see what looks like mud on its ears.  Its not mud but scabs from sun burn!!!

If your pigs do not have shade other than there ark or where they sleep at night I suggest you make one.

I would also suggest you make a wallow for them or help them create one buy turning the tap on a hose to the area they live in. They love mud as it cools them down and also acts as total block.
Mine did not like the muddy areas till it got hot and now they are there all day.

Please tell us a bit more about your pigs, oh and photos are always good.

Here is a link to a thread about my pigs.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34177
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:23 »
Here is a better picture of there sun shade.

How are the pigs today?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 16:24 by Roughlee Handled »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:52 »
Craig & Suzanne

Any news on your pigs?

Kieron

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:45 »
Sounds like they need some sort of oinkment?  :D

Well if no one else was going to say it....   :tongue2:

Ayla

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:49 »
Hi, I'm a first-time pig owner too, and I think my pigs have sunburn.  I have four Large Whites (two 3.5-month old boys, 1 5-month old girl & 1 5-month old boy) and one 5-month old Saddleback (black & white).

We brought the young boys home first - they are brothers and came from internal housing.  They had clear skin when we brought them home but quickly turned pink in our outdoor pen.  The older boy & girl came from an outdoor arrangement, but the Whites still pinked.  The Saddleback doesn't appear affected at all.

Granted, it's been sunnier & warmer (for longer) than ever here in Donegal, but we have shelter & wallows which are always available to each pig.  Problem is that all the pigs *choose* to lay out in the sun.  ::)

I'm writing now b/c we've been wondering if what our pigs has is really sunburn, or could it be mange/mites?  Their skin is flaky (especially on the back/flank) & they itch a lot, but they don't appear to have the red pimples or buildup in the ears which seems to point to mange.  I can't find any close up or clear shots of either condition online & I'm wondering if anyone would have a better idea?  The fact that the Saddleback doesn't appear affected makes me think it's sunburn, but we'd like to be sure...any ideas?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 13:10 »
Welcome to the mad house.
I am a newbie (first year) pig man.

I think its normal and not sun burn.

I have to apply sun cream or with mine there ears get burnt and scab up. Not nice.

I know what you mean I have two middle white crosses.  The love rubbing on me on anything.  For example while I was putting factor 40 on there ears this morning I had to distracted them by rubbing them with the end of the tube the love it and it keeps them quiet for 2 mins while i apply. The rubbing with the end of the tube creates a shower of flaky skin.

I have been told by the person I bought them off of not to worry but to "oil em up", "Not when its sunny or they'll fry"

I have some

Its like baby oil but with out the smell.
Its seems to be a skin conditioner it has helped.

This morning about 6am in the sun shade that they tend to sleep in when its not raining!!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 13:13 »
forgot these

Even though there are two bowls they have to eat from one!

A very lazy pig.  She can not be bothered to eat stood up so eats sat down then flops with her head in the bowl and eats then gets up and has a mad 5 mins run round.

poppies

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 13:26 »

We brought the young boys home first - they are brothers and came from internal housing.  They had clear skin when we brought them home but quickly turned pink in our outdoor pen.  The older boy & girl came from an outdoor arrangement, but the Whites still pinked.  The Saddleback doesn't appear affected at all.

[/quote]

Our latest lot of pigs were also indoor reared  - we usually get outdoor one's but could'nt get any this time, we have found that they burn easier our's are kept half in a copse  and half field but they still lay out in the sun so we have to cover them in sun lotion, the flakey skin you mention is just piggy skin - never seen the pig oil before,  it would save on the basting

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 13:29 »
Pig oil is very good try it. Plus they like the attention.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 13:30 »
Come on photos is the law round here. So lets see some photos of your pigs please.

too many girls

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 15:50 »
in the first pic that pig's laughing at you Ruff and the other one is saying "whatever"

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.