How deep is the sawdust in your coops or nesting boxes?

• 6 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How deep is the sawdust in your coops or nesting boxes?
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:59 »
Im just wondering how gererous to be with the sawdust I give the chickens as the nights are getting colder and maybe they'd appreciate a bit more.

Thanks

helens-hens

Re: How deep is the sawdust in your coops or nesting boxes?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09 »
In my experience the bedding in the hen house is more to collect their droppings in. I must admit in the colder weather I tend to put more straw in (I use a combination of woodshavings & straw - be careful of sawdust as it can lead to respiratory probs if dusty) but that is probably more for my benefit than theirs - it looks cosier!

Hens will normally roost on the perch and huddle together for warmth. Onbe of the most important things is to ensure there are no drafts (they must have ventilation but not drafts).

Hope this helpos
Helen

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:22 »
Thanks Helen, yes sorry I mean woodshavings not sawdust. I have heard straw can cause mould issues. Currently I dont have a perch in my coop but a bar that divides the nest box and they all perch on there facing into the nest box. I bought some draught proofing strip from a cheapy shop and have some sealant so shall go round checking that the giraffes cant get in  :tongue2:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:48 »
You're right, straw can cause mould issues which can also lead to respiratory diseases like aspergillosis.  And I think that hollow straw can also give the red mite somewhere else to hide.

We only use shavings in our poultry sheds.  But chickens have their own duvets, so we have never thought the need to give them more warmth. 

Think of it.  Chickens in a nice extra warm house overnight.  Cold mornings you let them out.  Surely more chance of them getting ill then, bit like humans with central heating!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 21:48 »
Thats true Grannieannie. I shall use it sparingly. Out of interest is this weather ok for some 10week old chickens? I still put them in the barn overnight but have a feeling its unnecessary.

Mrs S

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 21:56 »
When it was super cold last year I put a large cardboard box inside the coop, sideways on and put the perch in that. My ventilation is at the top of the house so all this did was ensure there was no draught from the nest box door. Just to put you in the picture, I'm in Yorkshire and we had a fortnight when the temperature did not rise above freezing! Poor little things :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 22:04 »
10 weeks?  They should be fully feathered by now, so best to get them outside while the weather is still reasonably mild, to get hem aclimatized before the cold really sets in.  Otherwise you may be thinking the weather is too cold for them and they'll end up in the barn until the spring!

Mrs S, in our climate, there really is no need for double insulating the coops, after all, the chooks are outside all day when it can be just as cold.

Look at 21st December 2010,  none of our chooks were treated any differently, and indeed joyfull had chooks roosting in her trees, but none of them died of the cold.

xx
nesting boxes

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:38
by chooknewbie
question
NESTING BOXES

Started by ben89 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 12:02
by 8doubles
xx
Nesting boxes

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 16:01
by Kathie
xx
Nesting Boxes - Divide or not

Started by gsc on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:23
by gsc

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.