We are fostering an injured dog- sad news

• 75 Replies

Oliveview

Re: We are fostering an injured dog
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 03:59 »
Up at 2.24am to check him, he looked dreadful- gave him more fluids via syringe-  back to bed, up 30 min later for more- back to bed.  I couldn´t sleep, my mind is in overdrive- will he die? Will he live?  what will the vet do? 
I got back up at 4.45 to check again and I opened the door dreading what I would see and he was standing in the middle of the room (still with bits of dressings hanging off him)   He looked a bit brighter, so I thought I would try him on the chicken and rice- he woofed it down, got a bit fussy and picked out the chicken!!   :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D  He must have eaten a good handful  :D :D :D :D :D 
He is a skeleton though, poor lad.  He was trying to sit down, he is still in pain.  I hope he likes cats and our dogs like him, then maybe Jim will let us keep him....  he needs castrating- chipping etc. 

Pamela

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 10:33 »
That is really good news.  Hopefully he will be drinking on his own today which will save you getting up during the night.  Don't forget to look after yourself as well.  Sending big hugs to you both.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12 »
He is at the vets, ti be shaved and cleaned. He did a poo and had a good drink then cried when Mili our cat walked to to him and bashed him :ohmy:
We pick him up in an hour.

Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 11:24 »
Glad to hear he seems to be improving. It really does break your heart to see them suffering doesn't it.

Springlands

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 11:27 »
Pamela - so pleased that things seem to be getting better. Hope all goes well at the vets.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 11:33 »
Pamela so pleased he seems to be getting that little bit better. I hope your dogs home is like the one I get my dogs from and who I support a lot because they never put a healthy dog down - I really cannot understand why a healthy dog should be PTS. Our rescue home has had to take in 3 lots from Ireland in the last week (the last lot was on Sunday 03.30am collection at Bristol Ferry consisted of 2 collies, 1 dalmatian, a mum and her four 2 week old pups - all very underweight and terrified  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

Thrift

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 12:45 »
Have only just caught up with this story Pamela.

You are doing a brilliant nursing job and it sounds as though poor little Poppet has turned the corner. It is heartbreaking to see them suffer so much.

I always used to try sick dogs with some fish, sardines or tuna would often tempt them. Also a shot of B12 can work wonders but I expect your vet is taking care of that aspect.

Keep up the good work - you're brilliant!!  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59 »
Not good news I am afraid- the vet said Ratón/Poppet is very poorly and very dehydrated (i was giving him 2ml or more Aqurarius water  every 15 min) 
The vet said he is to stay there over night on a drip- we went to see him, he was laying there shaking.  I hope he makes it.  I know what O would like to do to the dog that did this to him  :mad:

Pamela

compostqueen

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 13:58 »
There is a Freecycle local to you Pamela.  Here's the Link http://groups.freecycle.org

You could use Freecycle to advertise lost/founds/wanted ads etc all free of course. It's a good way of promoting your work and letting people know that you're there.  Our RSPCA and dog warden collections all appear on our local Freecycle and it's a helpful tool for them, especially as regards rehoming, fostering and getting towels and bedding etc

Fingers crossed for your little dog  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 14:11 »
There is a Freecycle local to you Pamela.  Here's the Link http://groups.freecycle.org

That takes you to a sign in screen...
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

maxyboo

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 16:07 »
At least he is in good hands Pamela. An  infusion will combat the hydration much better than you can when syringing small amounts in to a dog that is likely to be sick, no matter how regularly you do it. Sorry to hear he isn't improving as much as we would like, my heart goes out to you and little Poppet. Just remember, whatever the outcome, you have done your very best for him. I hope you have good news in the morning.

Trillium

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 03:41 »
You're a wonderful champion for unfortunate animals, Pamela. I couldn't work at animal rescues because I don't think I could cope with all the abuse these poor animals suffer from. But I'd never turn down an injured animal.

Fingers crossed that Poppet pulls through and recovers. Sounds like he knows he's found a good home. He looks like a real sweetheart.

Oliveview

Fostering an injured dog UPDATE so terrifying the attack
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 14:15 »
For some reason I can´t reply to my previous thread- not a clue why  :wub:

We went to the vets this morning to check on Ratón/Poppet and had to wait as the vets was heaving.  I queue jumped to ask how he was (see I am getting more Spanish every day  :lol: :lol:)  Well the other folk had dogs, I just wanted to check on the dog we took in.

He was awake, his eyes followed us about but he was still laying down attached to a drip.  I looked at his gums- they were white  :(  
The vet was very busy, so I asked if he was ok and she said he was.  We will go back tomorrow to see him.   The vet has agreed for the refugio to pay him over a few weeks, so that is good, although I think they might raise the money soon.  He is a mess, my sister, who is staying, was shocked how badly injured he was.

Will update if/when I get more news.

Pamela

PS  Any idea why I can´t reply to the other thread?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 14:37 by oliveview »

Oliveview

Re: Fostering an injured dog UPDATE
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 14:36 »
This is a report that was sent to the friends of the refugio on facebook-  I have cried and cried.  They named him Lazarus as he was raised from the dead.  :ohmy:  It is not good reading.  

For: Today we are writing to ask you for help, only dedicate a minute to read this post and collaborate whomsoever you please. A dog from our shelter, Lazarus, which you can see from the pictures, was attacked last Thursday by some dogs our shelter. The attack was brutal and lasted about 15 minutes before the impotence of the volunteers who were there who could do nothing to chase the dogs were attacking him. Were a few minutes of anguish and despair that our Lazarus ended badly injured and fainted from pain, in shock, full of bites all over his body and neck torn completely. We took him quickly to the vet, where he was given points everywhere and they said they probably would not survive. Luckily, Lazarus got through the most critical 72 hours without eating, just drinking, barely able to move from pain, only fueled by serum. We have been taking the antibiotic, antiinflammatory and vitamin K2, but is so mailto we had to enter it in a clinic today, because you need the constant care and supervision of the veterinarian. Lazarus is in the Green Cross Clinic Veterianaria Moron. Through him we ask you if you can you an injection to cover the cost for recovery. ADAM's economic situation is not good right now and need help from you all to this case. You can also discuss the situation with family and friends, we need all the help possible if you think you can do something to improve the situation of Lazarus and many animals ... Join WE @ s! Be soci @, sponsor or godmother ... to volunteer, make a donation sporadically or regularly ... Contact us and we will explain how you can help, how can you help Lazarus. Every time we have less soci 's due to the crisis, and we have outstanding invoices mainly at the vet. Thanks to all of you s .. For any contribution: Contact: Yoli Martin Mobile: 660807504 Email (losamigosdeadam@gmail.com) For financial contributions: Owner: Yolanda Martín Cortés Account Number: CAJASOL: 2106 0506 76 0172122181 Concept: Grant Aid Lazarus Lazarus because he deserves all the best, because we want to see him safe and sound, wishing him running toward us, tireless, that we acariemos, as now made. Champion Cheer! Ideally, find shelter or final adoption for when you leave the clinic to not return to shelter. Many thanks to all.

Sorry about the english translation- it was translated by google!  It must have been terrifying for the folk there too, one girl was sobbing and sobbing, I can understand why now.  I am sure we will keep Ratón/Poppet/Lazarus   providing all the animals get on ok.  

Jim says we can´t have another dog though!  (after we keep Ratón/Poppet/Lazarus or whatever we end up calling him)

Pamela
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 15:19 by oliveview »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Fostering an injured dog UPDATE so terrifying the attack
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 14:46 »
For some reason I can´t reply to my previous thread- not a clue why  :wub:

It had got locked Pamela - not a clue why so I unlocked it and merged these posts. :)

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Fostering another dog for a few days...and now another dog

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

22 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 22:06
by ANHBUC
xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.