Where to start! New Allotment!

• 7 Replies

Steerpike

« on: November 20, 2006, 12:47 »
Hi there,

Just acquired a new allotment of dimensions 150ft x 13ft - very long and thin. I'm a complete novice and need some help on where to start.

The plot is overgrown with grass and weeds but most of it looks to be ok to just dig over. Otherwise I have a scythe which should cope ok with the rest.

I need some advice on how to go about this - I want to grow pretty standard stuff - potatoes, carrots etc...and need to know what to do first. I think we should be able to mark out plots and then start digging this week. Should I dig the weeds into the soil or try and rake / scythe them into a pile for burning? (Im not allowed a 'smoky' fire though!).

Can anyone give me some rough dimensions for plot sizes (for potatoes, carrots, beetroot etc..) ?- bear in mind I'm a novice and need a manageable first plot.

Also, there is free horse manure - how will I know if this is rotted enough to dig into the plots?

Thanks

tully

• Experienced Member
Where to start....new allotment.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52 »
Hi,

Welcome...I got a plot not very different to your dimensions.....you can look at the gallery...

We already had raised beds but you couldnt see them.

Its taken two months to get to a position where I cant do any more...

Clear the site of weeds...first....as many out as you can get.

then make a plan....I think you need about four times the area of other produce for potatoes.

I have attached a plan .....its worth a look.
Get rid of all the rubbish you can find on the plot...and pile neatly all the re usable stuff...in a corner to use as and when you need it.

Have a good time - thats the most important thing.
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 13:05 »
hiya an welcome to the site steerpike , can i suggest you go back through the previos posts on this thread and i am positive you will find a massive amount of help with your new plot .and as tully says .enjoy your new hobby
still alive /............

Steerpike

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 13:45 »
Thank you Tully and Muntjac. (Tully - I cannot see the attachment to which you refer - can you post it again? thanks)

I have read the guide about plot clearance on the website now - though Im still a bit confused about what to do with the weeds and how best to kill them - the ground is very wet and soil is easy to turn over - can I simply dig the weeds into the ground or do I risk re-germinating them? If

If I need to remove them then what is the best tool (the whole plot is covered) - might a rotorvator be good?

Also, if removing the weeds completely and stacking them up, do I leave them to die? compost them? or burn them?

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 14:11 »
ok use a garden fork digging it in trench fashion from one side to the other  puttting the last bit of soil over the previos one . the weeds can be composted .  if you have no problems with using a weedkiller poison.roundup is a good solution .follow the manufacturers instructions . then leave it for a month then you can rotavate it  you may need to reapply the roundup after 2 weeks to kill off the harder weeds . but come the new year you will have rotavated it and raked it level ready for spring planting ,i would not think about planting anything now before Christmas but after you have cleaned it up you could stick some broad beans in and they will come through and give you an early feed . also you may be able to get some  spring cabbage plants from some of the folks on the plot and get them in .they will be fine going in the ground in early january if there is not a real bad winter , personally i would conentrate on getting it ready for spring ,, also ask for some time off the rent for having to clear the plot up .most councils allow six months free

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 14:50 »
Your weeds come in 2 varieties - annual and perrenial, Annuals you can just dig in but the others will sprout again from the roots (dock, dandelion, bindweed, horsetail) These are a bee to deal with. Dandelion and dock you can get the root up but the bindweed and horsetail will re-grow from small pieces of root left behind.
If you have a lot of bindweed then I'd suggest glyphosate, leave for a couple of weeks to get into and kill the roots then dig over.
For horsetail you need amicide. The roots can go down 10 feet and it is the only way I know to really handle a serious infestation.
Even then you get bits coming back but presistent hoeing will keep them under control.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:53 »
Good luck!  My pal and I have a new lottie - our council have only just got round to strimming it and removing the rubbish. They don't rotavate, they don't knock money off the rent - I don't think they really want us there !!
I'm following Muntjac's advice and digging out the weeds - we have loads of couch grass and like bindweed, leave a bit and it grows again. BUT the good news is, when it does, it gets easier and easier to remove.   My pal has just put Round Up over the rest of the plot - and now it's just a case of dig, dig, dig.   Keep us posted, it'll be interesting to compare notes!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

adekun

• http://www.adekun.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 14:00 »
It's my first year having taken over (taken) the garden from my mother-in-law. I was told the last time it was dug was about fifteen years ago. Most people thought I was crazy as I dug down about a metre. However,  the difference between that and what was done to a spade's depth, clearly shows. Despite being thorough weeding, the later was covered within a few weeks. I'm reluctant to dig this patch again as I got quite a few herbs and strawberries (I'm lazy too).
If you have the time now, it can save you a lot later. The weeds can get composted, as long as it's hot. Probably not worth risky the bad stuff mentioned below.

Good luck too.
 :)
growing vegetables in japan, recipes and info | adekun's japan blog

xx
Where to start, just got new allotment

Started by Lostbrain on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 17:09
by woollywoozle
xx
Ok, where do I start on my 1st allotment? Help please!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 12:37
by Stratts
xx
New allotment - where to start?

Started by double-happiness on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 22:53
by Trikidiki
xx
Where to start on my new allotment...

Started by Akumos on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 12:02
by chrisb1357

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 38 queries.