Carrots in the tub

• 24 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Carrots in the tub
« on: November 03, 2006, 13:03 »
Just done a search and could'nt really find a answer to this, it appears that one of my bath tubs is no longer suitable for water (drop a lump hammer in it and made a rather big hole) so me thinks this might now be the carrot bed  :idea:  also as it has four walls it a nice barrier for the dreaded fly and if need be I can raise it higher on pallets, has anyone grown them this way and any pitfalls I should know about.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 13:08 »
I know someone who stores his carrots in peat in a bath tub.

As I understand it, the idea of growing in barrels is that you can fill them with special light compost , thereby encouraging the long roots for show growing.

I've heard that raising them up also stops carrot fly but I doubt that myself.

Bang a few more holes for drainage then use the tub for carrots by all means -but you might do better with potatoes.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 14:04 »
Cheers John, some of the chaps and chapesses always put barriers up around the carrots and say they dont have a problem so will give it a go. Not to bothered about 3feet long roots just as long as they are healthy.

silver8

• Experienced Member
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 14:46 »
ive grown them in baths in the past. Drainage is a problem as the plig hole is not big enough and gets clogged up easily.uf you can get around that problem then ideal fot growing carrots because you can make the soil just right.l

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 15:54 »
I'm going to try it next year aidy with an old bathtub that was going to be thrown out, so we'll have to compare notes then!!!  I've been told height does work with the dreaded carot fly, and I thought not only will the bathtub be higher than the ground, but I can more easily put some fleece around the top too to keep the little sods out!!!!!

shaun

Carrots in the tub
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 17:24 »
thought you might have a look at this guys
http://www.agri-saaten.de/english/coatings.htm
i know a lot of farmers use them to stop carrot fly also the parsnips to stop canker,
I 1st seen them early this year at a market garden that i buy seedlings from (mostly cabbage and broccoli)
has anyone else seen these?
the chap i seen with them buys them from holland but was a bit shady about the whole thing .
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

bath
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 22:20 »
use a plastic colander upside down over the plug hole area fill it with crocks .stick it down with silicone sealant . and then cover with fleece scrap . werks great .put load crocks around it then your compost
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 15:08 »
For the first time ever this year, I've defeat the dreaded fly, by using the 2' barrier method.

Given that carrot fly cannot reach more than a height of 20', (unless it gets a fortunate lift from a gust of wind!), providing the walls of the bath are about 2' high, I'd I thought it would work, despite what doubting John says!! :D

Others down our plot use plastic barrels with great success, the only difference is the scale with a bath tub!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tully

• Experienced Member
bath
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 15:26 »
The lastguy on he plot left two baths full of junk, I have put them  out of eyeline and intend to use them for carrots and parsnips.

maybe salsify since its good to eat.  anyway I have decided to put holes in the side of the bottom of the bath...little ones with a drill and surround each one with screen- plastic stapled to posts in each end should do it -I hope.  So far three sowing of carrots into the ground has failed for me.

Good luck with yours - is the bath advocado by any chance?
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 18:06 »
Got two bath tubs full of carrots, just pulled one (a bit early but couldnt wait) and what a beauty! Got stony soil here and the last 2 years I've had stunted crappy carrots! Bath tubs work a treat with crocks at the bottom!
Happy Gardening

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 18:07 »
urgh! advocado baths how 70's!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 22:50 »
Nah, the one I'm using is white!!!!!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 10:03 »
Nope, mine is a manky grey which came with the new house, minging.

mrskp

Carrots in the tub
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 18:23 »
infrequent first year grower poster here but carrots in the bath were my speciality this year.

Much to the OH's amusement, I drilled loads of holes in the base, covered with crocks, gravel, rocks, plastic tops off milk and coke bottles, loaded up with multi-purpose compost/bit of sand mixed in, covered the whole thing with fleece for a while, had a few marigolds and onions scattered about the bath and had three rows of lovely early nantes with not an evil fly to be seen.

will definitely be doing it again next year.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Carrots in the tub
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 10:14 »
Cheers mrskp, on Monday I was on 't' plot and chatting to my neighbour, I was telling my plan for next year, he told me he had put a fleece barrier up this year and didnt lose one carrot. Perhaps their is truth that the fly cant fly higher than a couple of feet.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Can I still get carrots in?

Started by Oscar Too on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 11:09
by gobs
xx
Carrots

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 21:39
by sunshineband
xx
Which Carrots?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 23:32
by Annie

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.