Celeriac

• 15 Replies

Mr Dog

Re: Celeriac
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 16:03 »
This is how I grow Celeriac.

First do not grow the variety Prague Giant. I grew it year after year and they never grew larger than golf/cricket ball size. The skins are very knobbly too meaning more waste when preparing them. I have been growing Monarch from DT Seeds with better success. This year they are grapefruit size and the best yet. DT Brown is offering a F1 hybrid celeriac so I shall try that next season alongside Monarch.

Second Celeriac needs a very long season of growth. I sow the third week of February grow them on in pots or modules and plant then out late april/early may depending on the weather under fleece to keep the cold off. A dressing of chicken pellets (or growmore) and another couple of applications throughout the growing season.

I try to keep them well supplied with moisture though I don't flood them as you would do celery.

In September the outer leaves begin to lay horizontal to the ground. I pull these off exposing more root. It may be my imagination but the roots seem to benefit from this pulling.

Finally I don't  begin using them until November so they have had as much time to swell as possible. A light frost does no harm. However they must be dug up before hard frosts begin else they will turn to mush.

It is still very much work in progress but I believe I'm finally getting the knack with celeriac.

I've successfully grown the F1 (Ilona) for the past few years.

xx
celeriac

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 11:02
by Mrs Bee
xx
Celeriac

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:01
by strangerachael
xx
Celeriac

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 19:21
by barbarella
xx
Celeriac

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 08:51
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 39 queries.