Chook not eating :(

• 11 Replies

saffibaby

Chook not eating :(
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:40 »
Hello again all,
Well I thought things were going a little too well with my girls  :(
Yesterday I noticed one seemed off her food, gave her a check over, cant find anything out of the ordinary.. she's not staggering, no sickness, is drinking well but not eating at all - not even Porridge!! :ohmy:, she just seems listless, quiet, and is sulking up a corner most of the day.. they have all been wormed etc... is it just a bug? Should I remove her from the others - bring her indoors? any advice is appreciated xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chook not eating :(
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:02 »
when did she last lay an egg? she may be trying to pass a soft egg - this will make her feel unwell.
What is her comb like? is it pale and floppy or tinted purple?
Does she have a temperature? feel under a wing then with the same hand feel under another chickens wing to compare.
What is her crop like first thing in the morning and then later in the day? Is it empty or full first thing? Does it get bigger during the day?
Is she snuffly or bubbly eyed or sneezing?
Staffies are softer than you think.

saffibaby

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09 »
Hi Joyfull,
Her comb seems normal, no floppiness, wings still up and no temp (that I can tell)...she is one that hasnt laid for maybe 3 weeks now..out of the three she has always been the least layer anyway, I have felt the crop and can notice nothing, absolute zero... its one of those "scratch your head" times I'm afraid :(  I'm thinking a trip to the vet's will be on the cards Monday if there is no improvement - its just odd that she is drinking quite happily but not a bit of interest in food - treats included?  :unsure:
when did she last lay an egg? she may be trying to pass a soft egg - this will make her feel unwell.
Does she have a temperature? feel under a wing then with the same hand feel under another chickens wing to compare.
What is her crop like first thing in the morning and then later in the day? Is it empty or full first thing? Does it get bigger during the day?

saffibaby

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11 »
Sorry...eyes quite clear, no bubbling nor sneezing either xx
Hi Joyfull,
Her comb seems normal, no floppiness, wings still up and no temp (that I can tell)...she is one that hasnt laid for maybe 3 weeks now..out of the three she has always been the least layer anyway, I have felt the crop and can notice nothing, absolute zero... its one of those "scratch your head" times I'm afraid :(  I'm thinking a trip to the vet's will be on the cards Monday if there is no improvement - its just odd that she is drinking quite happily but not a bit of interest in food - treats included?  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16 »
at least she is drinking so thats good. Keep a close eye on her and if she is still the same by monday then yes a trip to the vets would be advisable.

saffibaby

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:20 »
Ok, thanks.... I will update with any developments, its so sad to watch her looking miserable, she's usually the fiesty one too... have a good weekend xx
at least she is drinking so thats good. Keep a close eye on her and if she is still the same by monday then yes a trip to the vets would be advisable.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37 »
If she's drinking you could add something to the water that would help. Sorry not sure what maybe sugar. Hopefully someone else who does know will come along. good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:51 »
I had one like this a few weeks ago, not exactly ill, but not right either. Brought her indoors to keep an eye on her and sadly she died. She had been 'not right' only for a couple of days, still drinking and the occasional peck at food. Her comb remained red with only a slight floppiness about two hours before she died. She had been the one who laid my biggest eggs. Looking back she probably hadn't laid for about a week, there was no evidence of any problems with broken eggs (I very gently checked) but then the other three were laying very intermittently since late Sept anyway which I put down to the weather change and moulting.
Interestingly since she died the others have gone back to laying 3 eggs per day.

Don't want to depress you with my tale, just hope your girl gets better soon
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

saffibaby

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:02 »
hmmm, its all info and appreciated, sorry to hear of your loss but still crossing my fingers for mine.... I have just spoken to the vet and he recommends keeping her quiet, lots of water, keep trying her with treats and hope for the best before Monday :( xx
I had one like this a few weeks ago, not exactly ill, but not right either. Brought her indoors to keep an eye on her and sadly she died. She had been 'not right' only for a couple of days, still drinking and the occasional peck at food. Her comb remained red with only a slight floppiness about two hours before she died. She had been the one who laid my biggest eggs. Looking back she probably hadn't laid for about a week, there was no evidence of any problems with broken eggs (I very gently checked) but then the other three were laying very intermittently since late Sept anyway which I put down to the weather change and moulting.
Interestingly since she died the others have gone back to laying 3 eggs per day.

Don't want to depress you with my tale, just hope your girl gets better soon

saffibaby

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:41 »
Update....
Chook seemed a little brighter yesterday (Sunday), a little scratching around and a little corn she showed interest in. I bought her into the house for a few hours and gave her my undivided, spoiled in other words... a warm bath, treats and hey presto - this morning she came running for the porridge :D Panic over (fingers crossed) - she must have just had a mild bug or something....phew!

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48 »
Good news, Saffibaby.  I hope she continues to improve  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

saffibaby

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 15:11 »
So far so good! Eating her greens like a good-un :) x
Good news, Saffibaby.  I hope she continues to improve  :)

exclamation
Man-Eating Chook

Started by webwahm on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 19:54
by karlooben
xx
Chook Eating Varities

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 18:38
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 39 queries.