grass over concrete

• 5 Replies

South Downs Wayer

grass over concrete
« on: November 23, 2008, 18:43 »
Hi
I have a concrete path running straight down the garden.  I would like to grass over it.  Is this possible, if so, how much soil would I need to put on top of the concrete before laying turfs.
Thanks
Roy
Roy

agapanthus

grass over concrete
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 19:03 »
I'm thinking you would need a fair amount or the whole area will get boggy?

Trillium

grass over concrete
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 19:09 »
You'd need at least 4" so the roots can spread and survive, otherwise they're prone to dryness in hot weather and won't do well - but weeds will. I have sod growing in 2" over my septic tank and it's always easy to spot exactly where the tank is.

South Downs Wayer

grass over concrete
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 19:48 »
Thanks you two for the replies.  I have about 4'' of depth to add the soil so that is good,  I suppose I could break it up a bit to help drainage.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
grass over concrete
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:55 »
hi SDW

I would suggest at least breaking up the path, would be better to even remove it completeley. I have, I think, a concrete something buried under my lawn (fish pond?) and in summer the grass above it really struggles to grow as the soil dries out v.quickly.

cheers amc

DANNY

grass over concrete
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:23 »
Ive seen this tried befor, we had an old path under the grass area that led to the green house on the estate I work for and every time the weather warmed up that area,s grass always looked a more yellowish colour and the grass never looked right some how.

We found the concrete path under the grass by accident after that part of the lawn was taken up in parts to lay a drain,
you could see how the grass was laying on the concrete like a carpet lays on the floor it couldnt kniit deep enough to get all the goodness out of the soil, hence it having that not well fed look about it.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.