Gardeners' Delight tomatoes

• 25 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Gardeners' Delight tomatoes
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:49 »
 I am happy to see that the RHS has, after a recent trial, removed the Award of Merit from Gardener's delight tomatoes.  I am disappointed that it has taken so long for this to happen. After growing them for many years,  I reported my doubts about its apparently failing properties to RHS and to T&M about 3 years ago but nobody took any notice.

Unfortunately all seed merchants that I have viewed are still stating it to have excellent properties. Whilst I realise that their catalogues are already issued, they should have removed GD long ago. They are supposed to be the experts, not I. And they could easily alter the description on the web sites.

Be warned - do not buy Gardeners' Delight seed. Though formerly having an excellent flavour, they are now seriously unpalatable. They don't even make good soup.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:54 by Bernard »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Gardeners' Delight tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 13:29 »
Where did you find that info Bernard? the last list of AGM varieties I could find, for 2017, still lists it..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/agm-lists/agm-fruit-and-vegetables.pdf

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 16:41 »

Three summers go, three old timers on our allotments all went on holiday at the  same time and they asked me to look after their greenhouses, which I did!.

They were all growing GD tomatoes plants with loads of fruit on them, but when I picked any from any of the GHs they tasted disgusting, totally unlike the beef and normal ones that I was growing at home in my GH.

I thought it was me and my taste buds but my wife said the same, but she said she would make soup from them, it also was tasteless and watery, she ended up dumping it.
I had picked two washing up bowls of fruit, normally with surplus crops I give to our other family members and also neighbours, these I dumped in the compost bin and picked no more as I didn't want to insult them.

The fruit started rotting on the plants after that, two weeks later when they had returned one old chap asked me why I had not picked the toms, when I told him they were tasteless, he told me I was mad and didn't know what I was talking about as they were the best,the other two said nothing 

It never does to tell the truth about any produce that anyone else is growing as they take it as a personal insult, if you do not like it!
What they grow is the best and no one else has any idea, just like on show day what they staged should have had a red card, not the one what the judge gave it to LOL!

Ps I am still friends with all three!  ;)
STOP, and smell the roses!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 16:49 »
How odd, I grew 2 GD plants last Summer and they were lovely. Not quite as nice as my Sweet Million but still decent.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 19:08 »
i grew GD last year and they were good, probably one of the better tasting ones i've grown. i also found them to be quite good for rotting, even towards the end of the season.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 22:07 »
I had no issues with mine last year and plan to grow them again this year.

It's no. 3 on this list:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/10-cherry-tomatoes
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 22:08 »
Not grown them for a long time, I have for many a year grown Shirley as my salad tom.
Must admit tho someone grew them last year and I wasnt impressed when he gave me some.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:39 »
I grew them last year again, like I normally do & was again pleased with taste,quantity,keeping quality & health of the plant. I also gave plants away as I normally do & had reports back on how lovely they were so I can only assume that maybe you’re 3 friends have got some rogue plants, do they or you save seeds? Maybe they have reverted to the parent plant perhaps?
Fine if you choose not to grow them again as there are lots of good alternatives but might be worth trying a fresh packet of seeds from a reputable seed supplier
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:40 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

arh

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:02 »
Question (to any and/or everyone)?, "so what, (in your opinion), is a good tasting salad tomato". Answers before planting time please, :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22 »
In common with Aidy, my staple is Shirley. I also like Scotland Yellow, they're really sweet. However, they're a heritage variety and you need to know someone with the seed.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36 »
I now grow Jaune Flamme a striking orange tomato, it is quite sweet but still also has a bit of acidity, which I prefer.
Alongside it I grow Black Cherry which needs to be picked just before you think it is ripe - because the colour is deceiving. If you leave it until it looks fully ripe the skin will split and it will be past its best taste-wise.

This makes me wonder if the people complaining about GDs are also leaving them on the vine too long? It really does make a lot of difference to taste and texture in the mouth.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:45 »

Alongside it I grow Black Cherry

Ah, yes. Those as well!

arh

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03 »
Thank you DD and Mum, will now investigate purchase of same.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:46 »
Thank you DD and Mum, will now investigate purchase of same.

You'll have change from a quid!

Black Cherry Toms

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54 »
Tastes vary, particularly when it comes to the balance between acidity and sweetness, but for me GD have the almost perfect balance for a salad tomato, and I've grown them for several years now.

With it being so popular and cheap, I suppose it's possible that there is some seed being sold which has wandered slightly off course genetically - quite likely perhaps when you consider the thousands of varieties which have been created, all of which are botanically Solanum lycopersicum.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Gardeners Delight Tomatoes. Why are the fruits splitting?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 23:20
by peterjf
xx
gardeners delight

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 14:01
by casper
xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78
xx
Gardeners delight

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 12:17
by Salmo

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 41 queries.