Rat Free Composting?

• 34 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Rat Free Composting?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 23:12 »
the bubonic plague ( the black death) carried by rats is the worlds greatest killer of the human race above all other naturally occurring disasters - fact !!!!

http://www.historytoday.com/ole-j-benedictow/black-death-greatest-catastrophe-ever

I think that's actually an outdated view, there are quite a few sources of info that cast doubt over the black death being caused/propagated by rats.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2027347/Black-Death-backtrack-Dont-blame-rats-plague-spread-PEOPLE.html

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/29/black-death-not-spread-rat-fleas-london-plague
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 23:14 by TheWhiteRabbit »

Goosegirl

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 11:07 »
I have done a bit of research on the history of the Plague for my Abbey booklet and you are right in saying there is doubt over the actual cause and it also depends on how far back in history you go, as early on anything that had a dire effect on the population was termed plague and it was most prevelent between mid-1300 to mid-1600 (the "Plague Centuries"). The Plague proper is caused by a bacterium called Yersinia pestis which infects rat fleas, and it's their bite not the rats that transmits it to humans. The most well-known of the three forms is bubonic where black lesions appear on the skin. One alternative theory is Anthrax (also called cattle murrain) as similar black skin lesions occur (from the Greek word for coal) and could be caught from animal hides; if from sheep it was called "Wool-Sorters disease." To determine what was the most likely cause, you need to look at what conditions favoured what bacterium, examine records of weather conditions during that time, and link all that with the major outbreaks. It is important to note that the medieval Warm Period ended around 1314 which eventually led to the Great Famine when people became more vulnerable to disease of any sort. Sorry for "rattling-on"  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cadalot

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 11:19 »
The fact their pee can give you leptospirosis is enough for me to not want them around.

Yes I was confined spaces trained and many moons ago when much younger thinner and more energetic I would crawl through sewers and any pipe 2" wide and larger under the public highway as they are considered as a bridge and need to be inspected. So I know the precautions one needs to take.

Goosegirl

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52 »
Leptospirosis can lead to Weil's disease via cuts in the skin from contaminated soil, etc. Maybe us gardeners should be more careful when using soil and manure and cover up any cuts on the skin, no matter how small, as other diseases can enter such as Anthrax and Tetanus. 

barley

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 19:21 »
very informative GG - I love this site you learn so much on here  ;)

back to the blighters we still have signs of another but the bait is still being taken so hopefully its nearly at an end

my main reason for wanting rid is my chooks - according to this link they will kill a chicken , we take all the precautions that are listed in the link and still we have had rats so I don't think you will ever prevent them coming but you can get rid if you persist  ;)

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/What-do-I-need-to-know-about-rats-if-I-keep-H177.aspx

xx
Composting

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 11:19
by noshed
xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 14, 2023, 20:52
by Yorkie
xx
Composting

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 08:38
by cadalot
xx
Composting

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 05, 2020, 12:09
by ches

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 39 queries.