rps20141112_093005.jpg
rps20141112_092841.jpg
rps20141112_092701.jpg
rps20141112_092455.jpg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: robbiejormerod's New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52 »
Lots of useful stuff on that industrial estate.  :D Have you been ultra-jammy and got a greenhouse with the plot?

robbiejormerod

• My Allotment Diary
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45 »
Hopefully, the previous tenant has until 1200 Sunday to clear it, then its all mine. Apparently he's not been anywhere near for over 12 months so they don't think he'll come back.
Although if there hasn't been any action on it for over a year I'm intrigued as to where the row of leeks has come from.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 13:09 »
Some nice paving slabs there as well - I would be sketching and planning where the main path is going and how you are going to carve it up if at all.

robbiejormerod

• My Allotment Diary
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 13:28 »
Going to go Sunday afternoon and have a good rummage and get a feel for it. Maybe start clearing some stuff and see if I can visualise how I want it layed out.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 19:31 »
Some nice paving slabs there as well - I would be sketching and planning where the main path is going and how you are going to carve it up if at all.

.. .. .. or just keep it simple to start with and change bits as you go along. That's how I tackled my two plots.
Plot 1 Before April 2013.jpg
Plot 1 After - April 2014.jpg
Plot 2 Before November 2013.jpg
Plot 2 After November 2014.JPG

neatntidy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 19:32 »
Good advice to take time, measure and get a good feel for the plot. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 19:49 »
For the Good Lord's sake, don't do what I did, and charge in there like an excited puppy, digging holes all over the shop and planting anything I could get my hands on, ending up with a landscape that looked like something from a post-armageddon film.

As a 2nd year newbie, I can only give you one piece of advise: get it properly under control before you do anything else; it'll save you so much time and effort in the long-run. A guy took over a plot on our allotments just before summer this year. He didn't plant anything. Instead, he took his time to get everything just right. Now it's fabulously set-up for next spring.

Good luck fella!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

LancashireRach

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 21:31 »
Totally agree! The number of times I have planted, dug up, redesigned and moved stuff I can't really remember  :unsure:
Best to save yourself the work and get it right first time.

Looks like a nice size plot too - look forward to seeing it develop in the future. My Mum lives in Blackburn so I get there quite a bit. I think we will have fairly similar growing conditions too.

Cheers
ATB

Rachel
Flat Caps, Whippets and Tea in the pot - All is well with the world.

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 22:02 »
I spent my first year keeping the plot weed-freeish and seeing how the soil/sun/drainage was. It did help, but then I was starting from scratch and it was a huge learning curve.

robbiejormerod

• My Allotment Diary
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 23:16 »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I can't wait until Sunday then I can actually get on the plot and see what I've got. I was thinking of doing a blog to record the plots development. I've done a couple of big projects in the past and regretted not recording my progress. If I do the blog I'll include the link so if anyone is interested they can have a nose. ::)

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 00:26 »
You could start one on here in Gardener's Diaries. I've found it really helpful to look at progress - particularly as I am a slow worker and sometimes it feels like there isn't any!  :)

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27 »
that plot should be a cracker, looks like it's got a lot going for it.

also doesn't look like there's too many problem weeds, easier to remove grass and weed rather than digging up and removing just weeds in my opinion.

the only trouble you might have in the first year (as i did) is wire worm)

if there's any ground you don't plan to grow anything in the first year i would advise sticking some spuds in the soil. easy crop to grow and breaks the ground nicely.

a blog is prob a good idea, to see improvements and re gain enthusiasm. also good to document what you planted in what conditions. i'm useless at this, and really wish i made myself do it all year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:42 »
Going to go Sunday afternoon and have a good rummage and get a feel for it. Maybe start clearing some stuff and see if I can visualise how I want it layed out.
That's absolutely the right thing to do. You will also find that you will naturally walk over certain areas more than others so that's where your paths could be. From there, the beds, compost bins etc will follow.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 11:07 »
Because I started like as a draughtsman, I drew mine out but the layout I originally came up isn't what I built in the first year. During the second year suddenly I acquired a second hand greenhouse and this will be my third year and I have altered the plan again, I how have trees and a group of dalek that shield my greenhouse for the stones that are shot fired when he trims his paths.

Now I nearly have the plot tamed and a path and bed structure in place, I have my name down if ever my neighbours 1/2 plot becomes free as I think I could happily expand.

I went back and looked at my diary on here from the start and it's amazing what I thought I was going to do and what I actually ended up doing.   

xx
new allotment

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 22:43
by Sparkyrog
clip
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 20:58
by juvenal
xx
New allotment

Started by jan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 14:04
by jan
xx
New allotment

Started by nappy501 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 15:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 39 queries.