chicken off colour, any ideas please?

• 5 Replies

eveshamchelle

chicken off colour, any ideas please?
« on: May 17, 2010, 19:25 »
My White Sussex, Alice, just doesn't seem herself tonight, but I can't work out what's wrong with her.  Her tail is down, she seems like she's got no energy, she's plodding around rather than racing or being atall interested in anything.  She's often stood for long periods of time with her head down and eyes closed, but then she'll 'wake up' and will have head up, eyes bright, tail up etc.  It's very odd.  She's not wheazing, no bubbles from eyes or nose, she's eating and drinking and her poohs seem fine compared to normal, although a bit runny, but I put that down to the warm weather and them drinking more.

The girls are wormed to date (verm-x one week every month and have 2ml panacur every four months for all you verm-x haters!) and they are frontlined too (although I spray on bottom below vent not neck as that's what my breeder told me to do) and I see no evidence of mites or lice.  I've checked her pooh and there's nothing crawling in there.

Any ideas people?  Anything else I should look for either on her or within the house?  I'd appreciate any thoughts please.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: chicken off colour, any ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 19:29 »
Vermex is basically just a laxative.  Gives them faster gut transit but doesn't actually kill anything.

Oh.. we don't use panacur either beause of the egg withdrawal period  :ohmy:

Let me read the question again (got side tracked)  ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 19:31 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 19:34 »
OK, Is she laying ?  How old is she ?

Feel her abdomen, (the bit below her vent).  Does it feels fatter than usual (compare with your other birds) ?

If fatter and a little resistent I would suspect an egg peritonitis.  Very common and can be very fatal. Vet treatment needed.

eveshamchelle

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 19:42 »
She's only 8 months old and she is laying fine, but she hasn't today, which didn't worry me before I noticed everything else, as she's never been an every-day girl and I've had 17 days in a row from her, so I'm guessing she was due a day off!

I've just been down (to try and feel her), and she's rushed over to the gate with the others, squeeking (as she does) and she seems lots brighter.  Tail still not up, but she's definately brighter.  I'll go down again asap and get a feel of her.

eveshamchelle

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 20:27 »
Just had a feel and she doesn't feel any different to the other girlies, so I'm wondering if it's just the warmth of today that has made her a bit off colour?  I'm just puzzled as to why she should seems so down one minute but perk up another?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 20:36 »
Keep a good eye on her and if she seems to go down again like she did today take her for some antibiotics.  I've just had a hen start to be ill the same way.

xx
what colour will these littles fluffies turn out? Any ideas?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 23:04
by rosie14
xx
off colour chicken

Started by geri on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 09:53
by poultrygeist
xx
chicken off colour

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 16:15
by jhub
xx
Chicken is off colour advice ?

Started by billbournemouth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 13:31
by mjd

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.