2018 abysmal failures

• 41 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Re: 2018 abysmal failures
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 14:00 »
Despite regular watering, every single one of my 50 Celeriac plants, lovingly raised from seed in my propagator, have bolted

snowdrops

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 20:57 »
Parsnips & carrots, 1st sowings were very poor, 2nd sowing a few weeks ago of carrots are through & a lot better, I too gave the parsnips another go but have yet to spot any growth.
On talking to perefect Pete today he assures me that it’s jackdaws that have attacked the lower broad bean pods & not rats, so that’s a relief.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

afcb

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 22:50 »
Worst ever broad beans, onions not much better, parsnips and beetroot are looking fantastic

Lardman

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 08:34 »
Just about everything.

Anything sown and planted outside this year is long dead. I've lost the fruit crop from all the soft fruit, the blueberry bushes are brown and crispy, the top fruit is all but gone shared between rats, squirrels and blue jays and I'm struggling to keep the trees alive as they're now dropping their leaves.

The greenhouses were just about limping along but have been hit by a horde of tiny very hungry green caterpillars who are busy turning everything to lace.

I suspect I'll be calling time on the veg garden at the end of the season and returning it to lawn - having said that the grass is dead too  ::)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 10:03 »
said it was a bonkers year....
Leeks... struggled to get them to germinate (3 packets in different compost) and are growing slowly
peas... only 3-4pods per plant and although the pea had swollen its hardish but 12 bags in the freezer.
Spuds... looking like the main crop will be a bad one for numbers and size.
Summer sprouting broccolli... grew well, sprouted and then flowered in days.
Chillies... biggest dissapointment, grew well at home in the grow tent, transfered to greenhouse then final potting, something then decided to munch at the roots and killed all but one plant.
The rest we will see.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 19:34 »
Totally bonkers year. As well as the celeriac going to seed, French and Runner Beans are poor, mangetout peas poor germination and a poor pear, black currant and plum crop.
On the positive side, discovered about 30 parsnips that I'd given up on, leeks look good as do Chiogga and red beetroot. Broad Beans are the most prolific I've ever grown as are courgettes. Spuds OK and carrots in containers are great

millimole

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 15:37 »
Overall it's been a poor year.
My parsnips and beetroot are excellent, brassicas are looking fair. But the peas either failed to germinate or mice got them, the broad beans fared only slightly better with only half a dozen very poor plants growing.
The sweetcorn are, at the moment, looking promising.
I've put some leeks and late sown peas which seem to be holding their own at the moment.I sowed some parsnip seeds I found last week - who knows how they'll do?
The birds had all the gooseberries, which is very unusual for me, but the apple and pear trees are looking splendid. The redcurrant crop was a record, the blackcurrants and strawberries were average. The autumn raspberries aren't looking promising at the moment, but I keep threatening to grub them out and replace with new plants. The new loganberry has done wonderfully.
Two plots with The Leicester Permanent Society - still learning.

Longshanks

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 16:03 »
Failures - broad beans (blackfly), carrots didn't germinate, not the Kohl Rabi, which was great last year. Asparagus - only two out of eight crowns have grown. Globe artichokes failed, beans not abundant and tomataoes blighted.
OK for marrows (loads), courgettes, sweetcorn, rhubarb, strawberries, hops, potatoes, cabbage and er more marrows.

New homemade polytunnel has been as you would expect incredibly hot. Tomatoes died, cucumbers all yellow, but aubergines going well.

Can't wait for next year.

Hey it's raining.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 17:41 »
As said earlier on the broad beans were floored by early blackfly, parsnips and carrots were a challenge but have some in fact carrots are quite big but showing inches above ground as clay earth is so hard.

have no blackberry blossom at all ! I have realised it may be because I cut them back hard in an effort to train them so they must grow on 2nd year wood Yes ?? always did get confused with pruning.
Biggest disappointment is the Lemon Crystal cues, usually overrun by them but out of the two I kept one has just keeled over limp and the other to struggling to produce male flowers ! These were from the first sowing so did another from saved seed which I gave to friends who have glorious cues!
Does anyone have a "friend" who thinks they are special ? this one will lord it over me that she knows the perfect way grr Wondering if it just didn't make a good root system in all that changeable weather?? 
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

al78

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 21:28 »
I've just had another bed of brassicas ravaged by what looks like caterpillers (during the one week of the year I was away), that is despite them being covered with netting since they were transplated. I am hoping the damage is not terminal, and the plants are strong enough to sprout new leaves and recover. Sigh, this is turning into another year where what I get out represents a fraction of the effort I put in.  ::)  :mad:

snowdrops

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 07:45 »
As said earlier on the broad beans were floored by early blackfly, parsnips and carrots were a challenge but have some in fact carrots are quite big but showing inches above ground as clay earth is so hard.

have no blackberry blossom at all ! I have realised it may be because I cut them back hard in an effort to train them so they must grow on 2nd year wood Yes ?? always did get confused with pruning.
Biggest disappointment is the Lemon Crystal cues, usually overrun by them but out of the two I kept one has just keeled over limp and the other to struggling to produce male flowers ! These were from the first sowing so did another from saved seed which I gave to friends who have glorious cues!
Does anyone have a "friend" who thinks they are special ? this one will lord it over me that she knows the perfect way grr Wondering if it just didn't make a good root system in all that changeable weather??
Yes Marg, blackberries fruit on 2 yr old wood, I call giving away plants that then produce better than the kept ones “Sod’s law “

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 15:25 »

Yes Marg, blackberries fruit on 2 yr old wood, I call giving away plants that then produce better than the kept ones “Sod’s law “
Yes indeed ! Trouble is you have to sow more then you need and us gardeners do love to share the joy don't we.  "Friend to is going to bring me some of her cues tomorrow as I havn't got any and prob tell me how to grow them.  ???

smiley
Failures.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:16
by Will1983
xx
fed up with failures

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 09:47
by potatogrower
xx
Carrot failures

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 20:16
by Anton
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 47 queries.