Voice from the grave

• 8 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Voice from the grave
« on: April 09, 2018, 16:58 »
I needed to buy some 7ft garden canes today. They were £5.50 for a bundle of 10. I could have sworn I heard my late dad (born in 1912) say: "How much? That's 11 shillings each! 11 shillings was a week's wage when I was a lad!"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 18:31 by AlaninCarlisle »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Voice from the grave
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 17:16 »
 :lol: Just the sort of thing my Dad would have said, as well  ;)

jaydig3

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 17:22 »
I've embarrassed my sons many a time when shopping with them by exclaiming loudly "How Much!!!" when they are looking at stuff that is expensive purely because of the label it carries.  The best, and most surprising result of my saying this was many years ago when we were trying to make our falling down cottage liveable, and visited a reclamation yard to look for roof slates.  We had been looking for a while and they were all more than we could afford.  On asking the price of the slates in this particular yard, I was very surprised at the low price quoted, and before I could stop myself, out came "How Much!!".  The poor man thought I was complaining about the price, and promptly lowered it by about 30%, which was a very good deal indeed, and my husband still laughs about it to this day.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 18:28 »
your absolutely rite we do tend to question the price of things these days its our age you know we forget its pounds these days instead pence heads turn in the G/C or shops when you say "How Much!!!

my wife keeps reminding me its 2018 not 1968 we bought canes last year 150 7ft £44.50 +vat my Dad would have said what the hell do you want to spend that sort of money on canes may be a bit more  colourful language attached  to that but say know more

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:35 »
Bought a dozen 8ft canes yesterday @ 40p each and they even delivered them ! :)

Good old fashion nursery with good old fashioned service ! :)

al78

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:21 »
Funny how some people don't get inflation. The prices go up and so do wages, the value of money goes down over time. If you want to make better comparisons of the cost of living, normalise the prices with the average monthly wage, you may then find that some things have got a lot cheaper in real terms over the decades.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21 »
I think most people do understand long-term inflation, but that doesn't stop the immediate reaction to the increased cost, plus some things do seem to suddenly jump up in price, and that's when I tend to notice the difference.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:50 »
Our economy is so 'Alice in Wonderland' - when I bought my first flat it cost just over twice my annual income. That flat would now cost about 15 times an average wage. Our current economy depends on inflation - I think that's why we've had quantitative easing which is AKA printing money. Without it we'd have had deflation.
Food is a lot cheaper now than it used to be - but at a high cost in environmental degradation and quality.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 17:55 »
thank god for our allotments seen swede yesterday at £1.00 each a little bit bigger than golf ball and a cauli £1.50 and i didn't even look at the calabrese would't pay that  :mad:

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 45 queries.