We're burning Margaret tonight...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

We're burning Margaret tonight...
« on: October 30, 2017, 18:45 »
No, not a video nasty, just an old apple tree...!

Many years ago, we noticed that a plant in the garden just wouldn't go away, we cut it back, forgot it, let it grow then pruned it, then forgot to do anything to it for a couple of years!

It turned out to be a self-seeded apple tree, and we let it blossom, and produce fruit, which was pretty bland, and not like the Lord Lambournes we have close by. We christened her Margaret after the gorgeous sexy Major Houlihan in 'Mash'!

She got to a sizeable shape, but the apples were just tasteless, dry and uninteresting, and while I'd have loved to have owned a 'Growster Nonsuch', it wasn't to be...

We planted a William pear tree close by and Margaret had to go (although she is still sending up shoots to remind us that she's still lurking and I can't dig the root out)!

Margaret was left behind the greenhouse last year, and I've just sawed her arms off for the fire, and maybe we're just hearing the whimper of a small voice asking me - er - why...:0(

gulp...

AlaninCarlisle

Re: We're burning Margaret tonight...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 20:07 »
Know what? We have an apple tree that deserves a similar fate. It's claimed to be a Golden Delicious, is the last one to have ripe fruit which it produces like there's no tomorrow. Problems are two-fold. The apples are pretty bland and in any event don't store well. They usually go to our ponies and our neighbour's three pigs

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:34 »
I hate cutting down trees. It does make you feel guilty especially when it is an old friend. She can't help being bland.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 18:16 »
The pear tree went a couple of years ago in a good winter heat for a few weeks. The neighbour had grown it from seed. Reduced the height of the apple trees  also had grown from seed from the said neighbour

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:37 »
I don't really like burning trees from here. Margaret was in a difficult place, and as she was feral, she kept arguing with the other trees and shrubs...

The other two apple trees, Mildred and George have also had a serious pruning this Autumn, as they had begun to be a bit cantakerous, argumentative and really socially unattractive, and they'd also begun to upset two favourite trees close by! One, a Pagoda Bush was distinctly annoyed...

Margaret's stump is still producing smalll shoots, so she can call out when she wants to!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 13:41 »
The shoots are probably coming from the rootstock at the point where the actual variety was grafted. A bit of brushwood killer painted on the cut branches (perhaps best if you punch some holes down into them first) and covered over with some plastic tied around the base should do the trick.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Beautiful sky tonight

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2019, 12:26
by mumofstig
clip
Wolf moon tonight

Started by Aunt Sally on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2020, 12:36
by Goosegirl
xx
A Supermoon Tonight 3rd December

2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2017, 08:30
by mumofstig
xx
Harvest Moon tonight

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2018, 17:09
by Growster...

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.