When should I be cutting back my Raspberry canes?

• 13 Replies

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
When should I be cutting back my Raspberry canes?
« on: November 18, 2011, 19:17 »
I think that I'm correct in saying that if you have summer-fruiting Raspberries they should be pruned back in the Autumn, and if they're Autumn-fruiting they should be pruned in early Spring?

The problem that I have is that I have just taken over a plot that is rather shabby and overgrown, and appears to have an established bed of Raspberry canes. I think the plot has been un-tended for at least a year; possibly a little longer; but because I didn't plant them myself I don't know what variety they are. There seems to be a lot of either dead or woody canes, and they need a good tidy, but the question is when? They appear to have some fruit on them still, although it is completely tasteless (I'm guessing mullered by the first frosts?).

So to the question. Prune now, prune in late February or rip them up and start again with freshly planted canes or something completely different?

All advice greatly appreciated!  :D

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: When should I be cutting back my Raspberry canes?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 19:45 »
Don't rip them up and start again  :ohmy:

Here's what I'd do prune any obviously old growth down to a few inches, leave anything your unsure of or looks like new growth then tie something like a loose white cable tie around all the remaining canes at the base so you can keep a track of where the fruits appear and determine whether they are summer or Autumn fruiting and prune properly next year.
Faff free zone!

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 20:43 »
Thanks again Bazh for the advice. By the old growth do you mean the woody stuff as well as the very tired stuff?

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 20:54 »
If the raspberries themselves are overgrown with weeds, if you have the time, it may be a good idea to clear another part of the plot and move the best canes, as the next couple of months would be the ideal time.  

They would benefit from the fresh soil and the reduced weed competition.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 22:05 »
If they still have fruit on them it sounds as if they are autumn fruiting, cos the summer ones would be over and finished months ago.
Autumn fruiting plants are cut down to the ground during winter as they fruit on the new growth produced in spring  :)

sarajane

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 22:12 »
If they still have fruit on them it sounds as if they are autumn fruiting, cos the summer ones would be over and finished months ago.
Autumn fruiting plants are cut down to the ground during winter as they fruit on the new growth produced in spring  :)

tend to agree there.  Mine are autumn fruiting and still have the odd fruit on them but will be given the chop, right down to the ground this weekend, weather permitting.

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43 »
Thanks for the replies guys. So, I must admit that I'm considering cutting them back now, but not too sure whether to do it now or until after Crimbo? Would it matter that much if I did it too early?

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:26 »
Yup, slice them through (if they're autumn, which they sound like)!

I'm doing the same Hesse, and I've just transplanted about forty summer ones close by.

So next year will be either confusion, or profusion...;0)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25 »
I am in exactly the same situation Hesse - after receiving some very helpful advice on here, Ive decided I'm going to cut down the whole lot in late winter, that way, whatever produces fruit next year I will know to be autumn fruiting ones! In the meantime if I don't get any raspberries in the summer, at least I have plenty of strawberries and other fruit to keep me going.
Rachael

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 16:59 »
just to add -- I mulch mine heavily with dead leaves around now, as this forms a good deal against weed seeds but allows new canes to grow through

Also keeps moisture in during drier weather.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 17:03 »
I am in exactly the same situation Hesse - after receiving some very helpful advice on here, Ive decided I'm going to cut down the whole lot in late winter, that way, whatever produces fruit next year I will know to be autumn fruiting ones! In the meantime if I don't get any raspberries in the summer, at least I have plenty of strawberries and other fruit to keep me going.

Perfectly understandable way to go Stran! I'll probably have to do something simliar, as they're all over the place at home, and I want to plonk them down at the Patch!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 17:06 »
just to add -- I mulch mine heavily with dead leaves around now, as this forms a good deal against weed seeds but allows new canes to grow through

Also keeps moisture in during drier weather.

KC, that's a good idea. I've got a lot of grass growing through the autumn ones, and I was going to give them an hour with the 'Growstada', but, as the roots are shallow, I can now (with your idea), shovel the leaves from the churchyard heap all over the lot of them, and leave them be!

Job done!

Lloyd

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58 »
Quick question, please folks?
I have a well established and totally neglected and untended jungle comprising a mixture of black, and red currants as well as raspberries, all mixed up. Having read the above posts, would it be safe for me to prune the whole lot now, as if they were all raspberries, (since I can't tell the difference between them right now?

I'd like to try for some decent crops this year. Thanks in advance.  :)
"Fine words butter no parsnips". John Major.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 12:04 »
You should be abl to see which are currants as they are actual bushes, whereas raspberries grow as long canes straight out of the ground.

IMHO it would be better to dig out the currnats now and move them to their own space if you can, as they will thrive much better.

Give them some fish blood and bone, and they may not even need much of a prune.

Check whether the raspberries are autumn fruiting or summer (read thread above) before deciding whether to cut them down.

Hope that helps

xx
Cutting back/ tying raspberry canes

Started by Kate_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 13:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Raspberry Cutting

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 17:59
by DD.
xx
Cutting/moving raspberry suckers

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 07:30
by fatcat1955
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by The Hungry Slug on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:36
by gobs

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 38 queries.